• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy Toilet stuff

luvzcavs

If when training a pup you take them out at the recommended times eg, after meals , sleep , play etc and they just don't go, do you wait it out prompting chosen word (toilet) ?
or do you bring them in and try again later ?
How long is a reasonable time to wait ?

Hope that makes sense.

When I was training Barney you could see me standing outside for what seem ages I did come back in for a bit than take him outside again later it work. ---Aileen

I used to wait with them about 5 minutes in the garden then take them back in for about 15 minutes - supervised in the house - then out again to try again.

If the garden visit starts to become a playtime then you can screen off a small part - we called ours a "poo pen" - and take them to that, or else put a lead on so they can't start charging around exploring.

Our word is go wee wee - I always tried to take them where they had wee'd or poo'd before so they can smell it.

I take Scampi to her 'loo' on her lead because we are still waiting for the final part of our fencing to be finished. Does anyone else do this? I am concerned that she will only want to go while on her lead and won't want to go there on her own in future. I am hoping I can eventually just open the door for her and let her get on with it. Am I being too optimistic?

That's fine taking her on the lead - ours went out in the garden with leads in the first instance after the first injection so they didn't pick up something they shouldn't have - ie fox poo :yikes

She should be fine eventually, Katie. I also say 'do wee wees' and always get a result.

You should hear me last thing at night 'Come on babies, do big wee wees nite nites for Mamma' :lol: I'm sure the neighbours think I'm the loony woman of the neighbourhood :lol:

re tiolet training

when or lab was alive we always used wee wee it always got a result then made a big fuse.now we have alfie we use same command he soon got the hang of it we also say poo poo that works to.when we first bought him home i took him outside every 10 to 15 mins .if they dont go bring them in and like the other lady said dont leave them on there own then try again .i found alfie very quick to learn it just felt so easy with him he also loves being praised i love him to bits.

If he knows his cue word for wees and poops, then yes, you can use it to encourage him. If you are still trying to train the word, then don;t use it -- because then he won't learn what it means! :) You want to say the cue word as soon as the dog is doing what you want and praise then treat; so the dog identifies an action with the cue. After a while you can try the cue on its own at the appropriate time and he'll likely try to do his business.

Back