• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

tips for living with SM

Cathy Moon

This is a thread for sharing tips on how to make it easier for us to care for our cavaliers who have SM.

The medicine schedule that works best for Geordie is: 6am Gabapentin, 8am 1/4 Prilosec, 2pm Gabapentin, 8pm 1/4 Prilosec, 10pm Gabapentin. I've found that splitting his dose of Prilosec actually works better for him, and the neurologist approved. We keep this schedule posted in the kitchen so there is no mixup on his next dose.

We use the stove timer to help manage his schedule. I set the timer for 2 hours when I give him his 6am dose. Then Colin sets the timer for 6 hours when he gives Geordie his 8am dose, etc. Then if we're busy, we have the timer beep to remind us of his next dose.

We've had 2-3 times where Geordie was restless at night. I learned something from Geordie about what he needs. I had a thick comforter folded on the floor (I was planning to wash it the next day) and he climbed on and made himself comfortable for the night. It really works for our little guy! :)

Does anyone have tips for living with SM?

Why are you using prilosec? Is the gabapentin causing upset stomach? I wonder if we need to add it to our regimen. This is a great thread btw. I'm trying to think of stuff but can't really think of anything special that we do. I'm looking out for some great tips!

Why are you using prilosec? Is the gabapentin causing upset stomach? I wonder if we need to add it to our regimen. This is a great thread btw. I'm trying to think of stuff but can't really think of anything special that we do. I'm looking out for some great tips!

I use Prilosec (which is now available in the US as a generic over the counter drug Omeprazole) to reduce Geordie's production of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). I'm using this rather than Lasix, a diuretic that reduces CSF by pulling fluids out of the body. I don't think you'd want to use both at the same time. I don't know if there are studies showing which is more effective. Charlie's neurologist took him off Lasix and put him on Omeprazole, so I automatically started Geordie on Omeprazole when he was diagnosed with SM.

Ah. I must have gotten confused with the other pill that started with a p that we used in conjunction with the prednisone to reduse tummy ache.

Prilosec is an antacid primarily and therefore also reduces stomach discomfort. However a secondary effect is on the CSF. So generally it is prescribed for SM dogs for that effect, not as an antacid. Another drug that works in a similar way is Tagamet (which I use for Leo).

Some other suggestions:

1) Raising feeding dishes and water dishes as lowering the head can be very uncomfortable for an SM dog.

2) Get a few of those crate liners with the raised edges (like bumpers) as SM dogs often like to have their head elevated when they are resting.

3) A dog having a pain session can sometimes be calmed and the pain alleviated by applying something cold -- many use a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a dishtowel, applied to the neck and shoulder area where syrinxes tend to form

4) Keep ears trimmed short for easy grooming so lessen the discomfort if you have a dog that is sensitive around the head/ears, as many SM dogs are.

5) Use a harness for walks, not a collar -- though infrequently, some dogs may be more comfortable with a collar because of the location of its syrinxes. You may need to try different types of harness to find the most comfortable for your dog, depending on where it feels pain or irritation

6) Some say rolling their dog on its back gently during a pain session seems to alleviate pain -- maybe it shifts the position of a syrinx or changes the CSF flow dynamics but does help some dogs.

7) Some dogs like a cool place to lie down and those chilly mats designed to keep dogs cool may be appreciated

More suggestions:

• For gait problems, trim the hair that grows between the foot pads so your dog will have better traction on smooth floors. Also, using a little paw wax on his/her foot pads can help with traction.

• For gait problems, put down runner and throw rugs on smooth floors to help with traction.

• For extremely sensitive ears, before going outside on a windy or cold day, tie a little bandana on his/her head to cover the ears and hold them down. This will make trips outside more enjoyable for cavaliers who have SM pain.

You guys are awesome. I've never heard of paw wax and my little girl slips all over the place. Does it leave a residue on furniture?

My only tip would be to wrap her gabapentin in cheese and to get dog ramps for the couch and bed to make life easier on them.

You guys are awesome. I've never heard of paw wax and my little girl slips all over the place. Does it leave a residue on furniture?

I bought Excel 8 in 1 Paw Wax at PetSmart. It can be used year round, but they think of it as a winter product (they had some in the stock room though.) I bought it on the recommendation of my agility instructor to prevent Geordie slipping on the dogwalk. It comes in a little flat can like shoe polish.

It should not leave a residue on the furniture if applied correctly. First trim the hair that grows between her foot pads even with the pads. Rub a small amount onto each foot pad, then let her outside to walk around. When she comes in, wipe her feet off in case she picked up any bits of debris. Her feet will not be sticky, just protected. I used it on Charlie to help him walk on smooth floors, as he would not stay on the rugs I laid out for him.

Hi Cathy,

I have a cavalier who is 2 and has SM, at the moment she is on gabapentin 3 times a day, you mention that your cavalier has Prilosec, will I be able to get this from our local vet? and what are the side effects ( if any?) Many thanks

Hi Molly, Prilosec is now an OTC drug and has also just come out in the generic form Omeprazole as well (in the US). Please take your cavalier to the vet or neurologist to discuss using this drug and getting the correct dosage for his weight. Depending on other medications, he may not be able to take it, so it is necessary to check with your vet first.

Also Prilosec/Omeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor (as are other similar drugs) which lessens the amount of CSF produced by the body. There are other drugs that can have a similar effect in decreasing CSF, like Lasix the diuretic. So if your cavalier is already taking Lasix he may not even need Omeprazole.

It is always best for your dog's medications to be managed by the vet, who has access to information about all known drug interactions. And any time your dog needs an additional medication, such as an antibiotic, the drug interaction must be considered beforehand.

As far as side effects, as long as I give Geordie his Omeprazole 2 hours before or after any other drugs, he seems to do quite well. I can tell it is working, because he sometimes starts scratching when it's time for another dose. I have noticed that he seemed a little happier when he was on Lasix for 10 days due to pulmonary edema, and I stopped giving him Omeprazole. But then the vet wanted him off the Lasix to make sure the pulmonary edema didn't return, so he's taking Omeprazole again. Soon I will be asking if we can try something else, just to see if he seems a little happier.

Last edited:
You can buy Prilosec over the counter in the US but this should only be given in consultation with your vet or neurologist as they need to look at everything the dog is taking and at what medications might help a particular case as many of them do different things. There can be various side effects with any of these medications of course and there can be clashes with other medications or alternative treatments so it is really important to have any additional medications OKd by a vet and also have them go through the possible negative side effects to watch for. I have heard that Prilosec has had side effects for some dogs but don;t now exactly what those were.

Edited to add: Oops Cathy I see you already said all this! :)

Hi Cathy,

Thank you for your info, I will take Molly and ask my vet, anything is worth a try, we have good days and bad days, thank you once again, I will let you know how I get on.
Many thanks

Hi Karlin

Thanks for your info, I am going to take Molly to the vet and see what he has to say, I will let you know the outcome, many thanks

Zylkene

The vet has recommended Zylkene for Molly 2 tables twice a day, has anyone got any thoughts on Zylkene? She is on 3 gabapentin aday, and also she is having mitagin twice a day, and on a bad day she will have rimadyl, I would like to hear from anyone with any info on the above, Many thanks:pcavtiny

Prednisone for Bonnie

Bonnie has been on prednisone for a few days and she is jumping, running and as happy as can be! We will be reducing the dose in a week so we will see what happens the. I am so thrilled that she is doing so well. Secretly I worry this may be a "honeymoon" period. Has anyone had this experience? It also makes me realize how "quiet" she had been before. We are closer than ever. She is so wonderful. :lotsaluv:

Dog Steps.

I am looking into buying steps for Dylan to climb onto my bed. He has until recently been able to jump it but now it takes a couple of tries. I've seen two on ebay, one plastic and one wooden, both covered in fleece. Has anyone tried either. I think the wooden ones cover looks too loose. I may keep one in the lounge for the sofa but want it to look neat.

Wooden:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DOGGY-ELDERLY-DOG-PET-LIFT-STEPS-STAIRS-709_W0QQitemZ370073983434QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item370073983434&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1345%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A2%7C240%3A1318
Plastic:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LIGHTWEIGHT-DOG-CAT-STEPS-MOBILTY-AID-OLD-OR-SMALL-PETS_W0QQitemZ250321760195QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250321760195&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1345%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A2%7C240%3A1318

Pauline -- what about step stools for kids? I have a couple that I use for Holly (for the couch and my bed). I took two step stools that my oldest daughter used and covered them with carpet (on the steps). I have one with three steps and the other with two. Here in the US they are available at stores like Target and Walmart, and come in many different colors and finishes. I've paid around 15-20 US dollars for nice wooden step stools. I just cut carpet to fit the stairs and glue, or I suppose you could use another non-skid material. Just a thought:)

Hi Pauline. I am using the fleece covered stairs for my foster cavalier "Claire." She is at least 7yrs old and unable to jump up on the couch. She happily learned to use them right away after I pushed them up against the couch. Now she can easily climb up for a nap and a cuddle, and get down on her own when she is ready. They are lightweight and my puppy mill girl started using the stairs right away. I think this is a great idea for Dylan. They are portable and lightweight. (y)

I have one of these faux leather bean slabs which is beside my bed and mine use that to get on the bed.

Back