• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Spangle is limping really badly!

Spangly

Poor Spangle started to limp really badly after her walk this morning. She hasn't had any problems on the walk and we can't find anything in her paw or pads. It's her front right leg and she will hardly walk any steps and keeps holding her paw up and doesn't want to put any weight on it.
We are stopping her going up and down steps, stairs and the sofa, we lift her instead. She has spent the entire day by my side on the sofa. She has eaten her dinner tonight and a neem
stick and she hasn't cried or whimpered at all.
We are taking her to the vet at 09.00 tomorrow.
We are due to go on holiday on Sat! We just can't believe it! We are desperately hoping she will be OK by then as we can't cancel another holiday!
I am really worried about her, she seems very "flat" if you know what I mean.
Please keep your fingers crossed for her.

Aww poor Spangles, maybe she twisted herself awkwardly on her walk :( hopefully it is nothing to serious and the vet will make her comfortable. Gentle hugs to little Spangle.

Thanks Andrea, you get so worried don't you especially when they can't tell you when they are in pain.

Yes I know and its not nice seeing them unwell, you feel helpless.

Once Gabby was like as you describe Spangles, turned out she had hurt her shoulder, the anti inflamatory/painkilling injection the vet gave her and some metacam made her much more comfortable.
I hope Spangles will be back to her normal self for the weekend :)

With you saying she is 'flat' it could be that she is incubating an interdigital cyst, however I think she would be licking the area (even before it erupts they usually lick furiously).
The only other things I can think of other than an injury is a grass seed or a sting.

You're doing the right thing keeping her from jumping up and down furniture and avoiding the stairs. Let us know how the vet appointment goes tomorrow. Hopefully it will just be a small sprain or pulled muscle.

Well, we got up early this morning and she was perfectly normal, no limping at all!
So we decided to hold back visiting the vets. I had to go out for a little while but my OH took her for a walk and she was fine for about 15 mins then she developed a slight limp. Now she only seems to limp after first getting up from sleeping.
We have decided to just to watch her today and if it carries on then we will take her to vet's tomorrow. She really doesn't seem to be in pain, she is brighter and is eating normally.
Thanks for your replies. I will post about how she gets on.

Could she have jumped off of something and jarred her leg? We had a similar incident before Christmas with Murphy. He was limping really badly one night, and like you we were going to take him into the vets the next morning. The exact same thing happened! He was fine when he got up, and only limped a little after a short walk. He was fine by the next again day, and back to running around like crazy :)

Hopefully she'll be fine.

I would def take her to the vet -- she could have something embedded in the paw that you can't see, and something is going on if she is still limping and you haven't found anything on a basic check of her. You don't want your holiday threatened by things getting worse and right now it may be a very simple thing to address. :) I think you'll feel a lot better having it checked even if just to get an all-clear.

I would tend to agree...I think a short visit to the Vet would be best as well. She may have only have a slight sprain...but at least you will have some assurance that it isn't anything really serious..and be able to enjoy your vacation ( or "holiday" as you say ~*wink*)

Sounds as if she may have pulled a muscle in her shoulder and it gets stiff while she's resting, then takes a minute or two to get moving again. I would have thought if it was something in her paw it would hurt whenever she put weight on it. I would see the vet, who might give you some metacam, which is excellent for muscle pain; then you can take it away with you and have something to hand if it flares up again. If it is a pulled muscle, resting her as much as possible (ie no walks) between now and Saturday would also help. But it really needs the vet to have a look, decide what the problem is and give appropriate treatment or medication.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Thank you all for your replies. I agree I will be taking her to the vet in the morning just to make sure.
Kate, we can't take her with us as we have a time share lodge in the Lake District which we've had for nearly 30 years (Colin's dad bought it for us before we had a dog), but sadly, they don't allow dogs.
So the lady who bred Spangle (and has her sister, mum and aunt) looks after her for us.
I wouldn't leave her with anyone else because of all her meds and eye lotions etc. She gave up breeding after she heard about Spangle's SM.
I still worry very much leaving her but she absolutely adores her sister and spends all the time snuggling up to her and won't leave her alone! Poor Daisy is probably glad to see her go at the end of the holiday!!

Oh I'm so sorry you've had this additional anxiety :( Do hope Spangle will be ok but it is probably sensible to get her checked out, esp with going away. Do hope you enjoy your holiday - will PM you x

I'm glad your taking her it just in case. Hope all is well and you enjoy your vacation. By the way, smuggling my dogs on vacations is what I do best :rolleyes: We rent weekly beach houses and I don't care if they allow dogs or not, I'm a rule breaker when it comes to smuggling my dogs.....but it sounds like you have a great place for her to go. She just getting a separate vacation.

Melissa

On and of limping could also be her SM.

Harley started limping on his right front leg and we thought that it was an agility injury. X-rays didn’t show up anything he was on pain killers for 3 weeks nothing helped and he was what you called flat. An MRI showed that he had SM. One month later he just stopped limping.

On and of limping could also be her SM.

Harley started limping on his right front leg and we thought that it was an agility injury. X-rays didn’t show up anything he was on pain killers for 3 weeks nothing helped and he was what you called flat. An MRI showed that he had SM. One month later he just stopped limping.

I had the same with Molly, hope it is not sm related and the vet puts your mind at rest.

Back from the vet's. Not our usual vet this morning, but she was very thorough and checked her over very carefully.
She can't find any swelling, gets no reaction when manipulating the leg. She thinks she has probably sprained the part of the leg that joins the foot (sorry, biology was never my best subject!).
Spangle's temp was slightly high too. She has given her an antibiotic injection and a painkilling injection too and I have to give her an anti inflammatory tablet tomorrow. She has to have complete rest, no walks, no jumping. If she is no better by Thurs I have to take her back for an xray.

Have just PM'd you Christine, poor Spangle :( Hopefully it is just a soft tissue injury but it is sensible to have dosed her up and keep her rested for a few days. Do you use homoeopathic remedies? Arnica is very helpful for soft tissue injuries, you should be able to get it from your chemist. 30c is the normal dose available. I give 2 doses approx. 2 hours apart. then 3 times daily the next day until they are better.

Homoeopathy is generally most effective when prescribed individually [by a trained homoeopath] but some remedies are known to be particularly good in certain circumstances.

Back