• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Why Me?

sannie

What is it about Cavaliers that just want to be everywhere with you? I know they were bred to be companion dogs but even with four of us humans in our house, my two cav's only want to be with me. They will lie outside the bathroom door waiting for me, they sit and watch me dressing or undressing, sleeping in the bedroom, sorting laundry housework etc, etc no matter where I am, they are there also.

They love my daughter and will stay with her if i'm not around, they'll greet my son but never look to be with him, same with my partner. It's much more interesting downstairs now with my daughter's friends in the kitchen, but no, they are crowded around the little space at my feet under the computer table.
I kinda understand with Max, he's my babe, had him since a little puppy, but Bran is older (perhaps 2-3) a rescue and only been here since november last. But he's just like Max.

Just wondering...Why me??
(not complaining of course, I love them to bits)

I would say it's because you are their mommy! You have most likely been the one who primarily takes care of them, and meets their needs. This makes you SPECIAL in their puppy dog eyes! ;)

Are you the one that feeds them? That is usually a BIG factor ;) I always like the person who feeds me too! :lol:

Are they both boys ?? i find Boys are BIG Mama's boys ! I have 5 dogs .....4 girls and 1 boy , and Colby is exactly like you describe ! He loves me soooooooooooooooooooo much !

Yup, I think it may be a boy thing!! They are momma's boys to the very core. But I also think it is about who meets their needs. I feed them, bathe them, buy them toys, take them places, work on training etc. The DH wrestles and play with them.

Zoey seems like she is going to be mommy's little princess too, though. But she has only been here two glorious days. I think the big factor was that I was the first face she saw when she got off that airplane. It was like I rescued her, and now she is stuck to me like glue!!

A good way to help 'spread the love' so to speak is give others the key care jobs -- have other family members feed and walk the dogs. This helps to make them less focused on just one person. Most dogs bond more closely with one person in the family though and that tends to be whoever cares for them most of the time. :)

Teddy is always, always, ALWAYS my shadow!!!
He is very attached. Now, Katydid, she is a real corker!!! SHe is a loving little doll....such sweetnes BUT!!!! She can entertain herself and get so carried away with batting a tiny tennis ball around the house while holding another soft plush ball in her mouth.....that she does not need to be up my butt like Tedster.
I like that they are opposites altho' she is a great cuddler...she is independent.
I think I did it to Teddy.....a super neurotic mommy then....now with Katy I am just neurotic ;) !

Bentley is never, ever more than about 10 feet away from me, he follows me into every room, no matter what I'm doing....I love it! However there are times where he is almost under my feet! Bailey, my Poodle, on the other hand, is content to follow me sometimes, but he mostly prefers to relax on my bed!

I'm telling ya'll.....its a Boy thing !!! I am the 100% caregiver to all of the dogs .......and the girls still drop me like a hot potato for their daddy !!! I am just their maid :lol:

Roxanne said:
I'm telling ya'll.....its a Boy thing !!! I am the 100% caregiver to all of the dogs .......and the girls still drop me like a hot potato for their daddy !!! I am just their maid :lol:

When i was looking for a cavalier, i spoke to a breeder who had two older males, one 6 month old and one 1 year old. I told her i had been looking for a female, but was open to a male. She said "The girls love you. The boys are IN LOVE with you."

but i don't know if you can generalize. For about a week and a half, i've been a two cavalier household, i have my daughter's 19 month old Belle here. Zack is 16 months old. They definitely have different vibes and behaviors when it comes to relationship to human. Between the two of them, Belle is the one who will jump up on me when i come home, Zack will run into the living room and wait for me to come, Belle wants to merge. But she is getting used to how things are here, and is conforming to the norms Zack sets, behaviorally.

The two adore each other, they are great pals.

Belle, more than Zack, likes to lay right on you. Zack is bigger so it's harder with him. But while i'm typing, he is laying in my lap, while she is across the room snoozing on the loveseat. Lisa asked me today if Belle has been sleeping on me. She really hasn't. But compared to Zack, if i pick her up and hold her in my lap she will lay down and get comfortable, while Zack may or may not want to lay on me, he mostly does it when it's his own choice rather than if i pick him up and put him in my lap. Belle is always lap ready.

Both follow me into the bathroom. Both follow everywhere. Belle is more literally under foot.

I beg to differ :D my girls are my shadows!!! They lay on the floor of the bathroom while I take a shower, follow me to the loo. lay on my lap and sleep on my feet at night. They love their daddy to bits and both of us share the caring. So my little girls are just as loving as your boys!!!! :D :lotsaluv: *ng*l :lotsaluv:
Julie and the girls :flwr:

I don't know about the boy/girl theory. I've had both boys and girls and each dog is very different.

I do agree they bond more with whoever looks after them most but some dogs are just very independent and like their own space, others will cling to you for dear life! Pretty much all our dogs have been clingers except Cassie who adored my Mam but didn't love the rest of us quite as much!

Thats what I love about cavaliers - I love to be loved and so do they :flwr:

Forest said:
I beg to differ :D my girls are my shadows!!! They lay on the floor of the bathroom while I take a shower, follow me to the loo. lay on my lap and sleep on my feet at night. They love their daddy to bits and both of us share the caring. So my little girls are just as loving as your boys!!!!

I couldn't agree more, Julie! My girls follow me around all day too. I am their sole focus. Everywhere I go, I hear their little jingling collars right behind me - especially Lexi (my 9 month old). They are not nearly as attached to my husband. 8)

My boys follow me everywhere, if I'm in the bathroom I could here them smelling underneith the door. :roll: I have been married for 37 years and
we have had 5 dogs all boys so I don't know if it is a boy thing, but all my 5 dogs have been mommy's dogs. Everyone of them followed my every move. :badgrin: :badgrin:
judy

lady's like my shadow and always wants to be on my lap or on the sofa when i am. I am the one who feeds her and spends more time with her in the day i work part time in retail and study at home for uni for most of the day so she's used to me being at home. She does love her daddy though and is far morr obidient with him than me. Only one thing for it we will have to get a boy next and see who's more lovable. :)

I kind of think it's a boy thing, too--at least in my house. Wrigley is my velcro dog and Mia is a little more independent and can entertain herself. Though when she's sleepy or cold--she a great little snuggler. I don't know if I could handle two velcro doggies...but I guess I could suffer through. ;)

"Why me?" you ask.

Well, regardless of your pup's sex, it's pretty obvious that SOMEONE in your home ADORES, WORSHIPS, IDOLIZES and CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF YOU! The dogs are the only ones in my house that feel that way about me, so I'll take it however I can get it.
:lol:
Don't ask questions! Just enjoy every minute of it. :flwr:

maybe they see you as the leader off the pack? Sam does it too, he even has to be with me when I go to the loo :roll: When I leave the room when he's asleep, even without making any noise like opening the door or so, he wakes up and jumps after me. He doesn't do it so fanatically with my parents. It makes me weak, thinking he loves and prefers ME! It's the first doggy in the house to do that. But off course this one is MY doggy, the other were my parents'.

Denise G. said:
I kind of think it's a boy thing, too--at least in my house.

I was always told that females where more likely to be so attached to their owners. But I don't know from experience, we allways had males around here.

Back