• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Microchips and Brady's nuetered!

laurenlyn1

My guy was microchipped where he was born in Ireland, but when they tried to read it here in the US it didn't work. It is different in Euorpe than it is in the US. He just got nuetered today and so far so good, i've only had him home about 10 minutes, but he was sure happy to see me! But I also had them put a new chip in him as well as pull his last baby tooth that didn't want to come out and the adult one was like half out already, so now I have a nice baby tooth to keep, root and all!

Oversea chips work on a different frequency than the US chips (Avid and Home again). This is the same issue that the PetSmart chips were having -- they too work on a different frequency than the other more popular chips.

WoodHaven said:
Oversea chips work on a different frequency than the US chips (Avid and Home again). This is the same issue that the PetSmart chips were having -- they too work on a different frequency than the other more popular chips.

Do Avid and Home Again work on the same frequency?

Gus got nuetered last Tues and he is doing great... I think boys rebound quicker. Within 24 hours he was back to himself, except he was a little sore for a couple days.

Also I wrote a piece for the Guardian in the UK:

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,1710249,00.html

Basically: Pretty much the rest of the world uses the ISO (international standard) chip that is the industry standard -- expecept in the US where they continue to use very old technology because *it allows companies like Avid to control not just a major part of the chips market, but sales of very expensive chip readers*. You HAVE to have an Avid or Avid-licensedreader to read an Avid chip as they even encrypt the damn chip -- meaning no one can return an animal except by ringing Avid to find out what info corresponds to the chip.

The US govt has tried to bring in legislation to forbid this (backed by the Humane Society); I don't know where it currently stands.

Ironically Avid sells readers in Canada and in Europe that will read ANY chip, the ISO standard chip or the USA chip. It is only in the US where they will not allow any other company to make a reader that can read their chips except thru licensing deals, and only in the US where they encrypt their chips as well. Elsewhere their unencrypted chips can also be read by any reader (eg in the UK and Ireland for example).

Why this ridiculous, pet-unfriendly, rescue-unfriendly, EXPENSIVE to the vet industry, the rescue network, and the consumer system has become the standard is beyond me.

If it were the software industry Avid would not be allowed to do this as it would be a forceful creation of a monopoly market and anti-competitive and anti-consumer. Because it is a corner of the market where people dont really understand how they are being manipulated and how it lowers the chance of their pet's chip being read if found...they seem to get away with it.

:swear: :swear:

Don't get me wrong, chipping is really important -- along with tag and collars at all times -- but the way the system works now is silly and could much better benefit the animals that are chipped, owners and so forth.

Back