• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Update on Abbey

Jen

Last week we had a scare with Abbey. She's a jumper, loves to jump, and when she was outside she tried to jump up the three stairs leading to the door, and she slipped on the ice and went sailing over the stairs and landed on the sidewalk on the other side. She landed on her side, but popped back up and seemed to be fine. We watched her closely that night and the next day as well; she seemed fine. The next day--so two days after this incident, I got home and she wouldn't jump up on me like she usually does--she was wimpering and started yelping. Her gate was off, not really a limp, but just stiff and odd looking. I called our vet and got her in right away. Nothing appeared broken, but she was showing some lower back pain---which is what she was showing with her SM physical before we had her MRId. So, we're not sure if what's happened is related to her fall, albeit it wasn't until two days later that she started showing symptoms or if what's happening is a progression of her CM. She's on Gabopentin for her CM, and considering she was really crying and kept us up most of the night as she couldn't get comfortable--she must have been in a lot of pain. The vet put her on Prednisone for a week, just to see if she can get some fast relief, and so far it's working. She's pretty much back to normal. She'll be off the Prednisone in a few days, so we'll see shortly after that how she's really doing. I really don't like having her on it, considering all the side affects, but for short term it appears to be working, and I'm just hopeful all of this is related to ice incident.

I'm really sorry to hear that, Jen. It sounds like it could be pain related to her fall -- maybe she twisted or pulled something. I've had delayed reactions before, including things like spasms a couple of days later after straining muscles. Fingers crossed it is something that will settle down. I wouldn't be concerned too much about short term steroid use -- they really help with inflammation and she I don't think she will be on them long enough to cause much concern regarding side effects. It's generally long term use that gets problematical.

Poor little Abby. I'm also inclined to think it may be related to her fall. When Shelby had her doggie attack incident it wasn't until the next day or so that she showed any signs of discomfort. Hopefully the short term pred will get her through this.

{{{Hugs to Abbey}}}} Hope she is feeling better! I know it sure hurts to fall on ice, I've done it several times so I imagine it would hurt for her too!

Back