• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Traveling with raw dog food....to meet new doggies!

GraciesMom

We finally have two options of potential Cavvie family members to visit that come from tested parents. It has taken a lot of work, alot of time and alot of contacts to get to this point. Some folks here provided a few tips along the way. We are going to visit a male and female on Thursday-Friday.

For those who feed fresh or frozen food, I would love your guidance in transporting raw dog food for the trip. They are frozen commercial patties. I plan to put them in small cooler with lots of ice for 6-hour drive, but it is VERY hot here so car will get hot during stops. Do others have better ideas for keeping raw dog food cold for long drives? Would dry ice or frozen gel packs work better than regular ice?

We finally have two options of potential Cavvie family members to visit that come from tested parents. It has taken a lot of work, alot of time and alot of contacts to get to this point. Some folks here provided a few tips along the way. We are going to visit a male and female on Thursday-Friday.

For those who feed fresh or frozen food, I would love your guidance in transporting raw dog food for the trip. They are frozen commercial patties. I plan to put them in small cooler with lots of ice for 6-hour drive, but it is VERY hot here so car will get hot during stops. Do others have better ideas for keeping raw dog food cold for long drives? Would dry ice or frozen gel packs work better than regular ice?

I dont know about Frozen but I have a travel fridge that plugs in to the cars cigarette lighter socket and runs off the engine that sits in my passenger footwell and keeps everything cold on a long journey!

Good luck meeting your potential puppies!
We also have a plug in coolbox which works well, or sometimes we use dry food (Ziwipeak, or Acana at the moment) if raw is going to be a problem - I know Gracie has had issues with lots of foods though, so may not be a possibility for you... If you pack frozen food with icepacks into an insulated container, I think it'd be fine for 6 hours though!

Never knew there was a plug-in fridge!!

Gotta see what I can find out about those here! We have tried the freeze-dried raw and Gracie just will NOT eat much of it at all. But plan to take some of that along too!

I would say dry ice would be the go if you don't have a plug in cool box. Dry ice is supposed to last a long time. I used it a long time ago when we used to camp in a tent! Before we got our caravan. Hope you find what you are looking for!

Can you just feed a high-quality dry kibble for the trip to make it easier on you? I haven't done Raw in a while but when I did, I would feed a good kibble in the morning and the Raw in the evening. Might not work for this trip as it's coming up soon, but maybe you could get her used to kibble on occasion for convenience when you travel, etc..

Sadly....Gracie gets the runny poop with dry kibble

She has protein issues...so we have to stick to raw. May look for dry ice if no way to get plug-in cooler by then.

We've driven from San Diego to Carmel (took us about 8 hours) with raw food in a cooler on ice and it was fine by the time we were able to unload it into the fridge at the unit. We put it in a separate cooler so we didn't have to open that cooler until we were ready to transfer the food.

Back