• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anyone know of these breeders?

Hi there,
we live in wales an have been looking for reputabl breeders of cavaliers...Not easy in this part of the ountry! I am hopeing someone on here has some knowledge or experience of these..
Mr J N & Mrs R E Conneally
they are breeders and seem to have lot of success in shows, crufts etc. any information would be greatly apprecated!
Kind regards,

Hi and welcome!

I don't allow public discussions of specific breeders, as this is such a difficult and potentially libelous area.

I know nothing of the people mentioned.

BUT in general, success in shows really means virtually nothing when it comes to getting a puppy in this breed, and some of the highest profile breeders are some of the most appalling caretakers of the breed. :( You want to prioritise only breeders who are properly health testing in this breed -- that means MRIs, cardiologist heart clearances (NOT just from a vet), eye tests and ideally hip scores as well. (y) You'd want to contact the breeders and ask about their approach to health and ask to see certs for the parent dogs.

We have a lot of information on what to look for and ask to see if you look at the panel on Looking for a Puppy on the right hand column of the homepage for the board. :)

In particular I would suggest

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/entry.php?103-Buying-a-cavalier-puppy and http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/entry.php?266-Puppy-Buying-Advice-UPDATE&bt=498#comment498 from Margaret Carter

as well as

http://cavalierpuppy.co.uk/

If people here know of these breeders and their approach to cavalier health they may wish to PM you privately. :)

If you read the Getting Started section of the board it has information on what is OK to post (almost anything, except (with rare exceptions) discussions on specific breeders).

People here will be happy to offer advice on the search -- but without naming specific breeders. :)

Don't forget the DNA tests for dry eye and curly coat and episodic falling, to add to Karlin's list of essential health checks done on both parents of a puppy - and on grandparents on both sides as well if possible (though the DNA tests have become available only recently). It is possible to find breeders who, by following the Cavalier Club's guidelines and doing all the available health checks, have been able to breed three or more generations of Cavaliers free from SM and MVD (heart disease), but they are not numerous and don't breed a lot of litters, so you need to be prepared to wait and possibly to travel. Speaking as the owner of two Cavaliers who both have CM/SM and heart murmurs (and a few other ailments), if you get impatient and drop your health standards in order to get a puppy more quickly you could be laying up a lot of heartache for yourself and pain for your dog. It's not easy being a Cavalier owner - though the rewards can be great!

Kate, and Cavaliers Oliver and Aled

Oops yes -- forgot that! Thanks Kate. The DNA test is an inexpensive, once-off test all breeders should have done on BOTH parents.

If you send me your email address in a PM (Private Message) I will send you information that may help you find a responsible breeder.

BUT in general, success in shows really means virtually nothing when it comes to getting a puppy in this breed, and some of the highest profile breeders are some of the most appalling caretakers of the breed. :(

I am afraid this is so true. So many high profile breeders have an appalling record when it comes to health testing cavalier parents before they breed from them.

Many of these breeders do not care enough about their cavaliers to check they are healthy before they mate them. They do not care if they put an affected breeding bitch with a pocket of fluid destroying their spinal cord through the terrible pain of bearing down while whelping. They do not care if they breed puppies that will have a much increased chance of SM.

You want to prioritise only breeders who are properly health testing in this breed -- that means MRIs, cardiologist heart clearances (NOT just from a vet), eye tests and ideally hip scores as well. (y) You'd want to contact the breeders and ask about their approach to health and ask to see certs for the parent dogs.

Unfortunately you will be in for a long search as there are so few breeders that are health testing properly.

In your search for a puppy from tested parents you will find that you are met with hostility and rudeness for asking awkward questions, or with false assurances from seemingly helpful breeders that they have done all the testing necessary. They hope you will take their word for it. If you ask to see the certificates many of them will prove to be unavailable.

Many buyers will tire of the search and either settle for another breed or allow themselves to believe a persuasive breeder. I do hope that one day someone will be rich enough and angry enough to sue one of these duplicitous people.

You could check on the kennel club site to see if they are Assured Breeders, but be aware that the scheme does have limitations though.

For Cavaliers - the only test they have to carry out is Annual eye testing (and currently under the scheme rules, they do not have to take the test results into account when breeding! ie ASSURED BREEDERS could still breed from dogs who have failed their eyes tests.)
It is also recommended that they follow breed club guidelines, for the Cavalier 1) Breed club - heart testing (mitral valve dysplasia) 2) BVA/KC CM/SM Syringomyelia test. BUT THIS IS NOT A CONDITION FOR THE SCHEME.

Many breeders on the scheme are very responsible and carry out all the health tests as listed above, but please still ask for proof, the scheme does not give you any guarantees...

Back