• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Woody bashed his head

Claire

Hi all, Woody has been in the wars - I let him and Busta out Tuesday night, and a usual they went running up the garden, I was just getting my slippers on to go outside when I heard a loud screaming from Woody, went running out there (sod the slippers) and he was running back to me all over the place.

Got him inside and Darren and I checked him out, the side of his face was wet, he had a graze on his chin, but he was having problems walking... called vets straight away, they said to leave for 30 minutes and then call back if not better, called them back after 15 minutes as he was trying to fall asleep but was still all over the place, we then rushed him (and Busta as he was worried to the vets). Woody was sick in the car most of it in my hand. Vet tested head, legs, hips, temperature.... and said he had concussion, gave him an anti-inflammatory and pain killing injection - vet then show him a Smacko - which he wolfed down.. got him home and had a sleep-less night, he is fine now but what a scare...... :(

Wow I am really sorry to hear that Woody got hurt like that.
I am happy to hear he is feeling better. I bet it was scarey I would of been flippin did he hit his head on a tree or do you think he was just
runnin so fast when he put his brakes on he grazed himself.

Oh poor Woody -- that kind of experience is really scary. Jaspar once ran head on to Leo when he was trying to fetch a ball and his hind legs mostly gave out and he was staggering around, still trying to chase the damn ball!! :shock: :shock: I had to pick him up and carry him while he settled down and I was scared to death as he was clearly slightly concussed, very groggy -- and neither I nor my friend had a mobile on us. Folrtunately he was fine after about 15 minutes and vet said to just keep him quiet but this is such a scare when it happens.

csprice said:
I think he mis-judged a step and went skedding along....

Best to just keep an eye on him for a few days or so to make sure he
is doing okay.
Give him some kisses and hugs from Toronto.

karlin said:
Oh poor Woody -- that kind of experience is really scary. Jaspar once ran head on to Leo when he was trying to fetch a ball and his hind legs mostly gave out and he was staggering around, still trying to chase the damn ball!! :shock: :shock: I had to pick him up and carry him while he settled down and I was scared to death as he was clearly slightly concussed, very groggy -- and neither I nor my friend had a mobile on us. Folrtunately he was fine after about 15 minutes and vet said to just keep him quiet but this is such a scare when it happens.

I remember you posting about this!! Head injuries, even mild, are so scary. Poor Woody!! Glad he's feeling better now. Bet you are too!

You must have got such a fright! I hope he's okay now. When we got Daisy Boo first she was too small to climb the stairs and one morning I was carrying some washing up the stairs and thought she would sit at the bottom as normal. However, when i turned around she had managed to climb three stairs and when she saw me she turned and dived down the stairs. She then ran into the kitchen and left a little yelp out of her. I nearly died with fright thinking she might have broken something but she was fine. However, it was another six weeks before we were able to teach her to climb the stairs and no amount of coaxing will make her try to come down them now - she just turns her backside to you and waits to be lifted down :lol: Anyway, I'm glad Woody is okay and I hope you are over it too.
Joanna

Oh poor Woody and poor you too - what a scare.

Head injuries are very frightening, you did the right thing contacting you vet, I would always want to get something like that checked out.

I don't want to scare anyone but sadly this kind of incident has been fatal in smaller dogs such as the tiny Yorkies icon_crying so something to always be aware of, but little can be done to prevent it happening.

Thanks for all your messages, Woody seems fine now - or I hope he is as he was pinning Busta down when they were playing last night. :lol:

Back