• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Walkies

Baileyboy

Hi All, Just a quick question to you all.......

How many times a day do you walk your dogs, and for how long.

Bailey is now 8 mts and I wanted to know if I am walking him to much or not enough.. I know his bones are not fully formed so I don't allow him to jump off things (if I can help it) but just need a bit of advice on the walking.

Thanks Kerry

I walk Holly every morning before work for about 30 mins. Then in the evening i'll try and bring her out for 45 mins.
On saturdays i bring her for a good 4 mile walk... weather permitting. I've been doing this for months now. She seems well able for it.
When she was younger, she'd want me to pick her up for a few minutes during the 4 mile walk.
She's loves her walks.... and it's good for me too.
Yvonne

Kerry,

At that age I would only gently walk mine 2 x 15mins max daily with a little lead practice in the garden and toy fun and games during the day as well. You can do simple training at home in the garden or join a puppy class one evening in the week if you feel you want to do more.

Make sure he gets plenty rest for those little bones to grow! you will have years to do the long walks later on.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Yes, agree with Alison. Mine get two walks a day for about 30-45 minutes each but we only walk slowly as I can't rush with my back and we don't tbh cover a huge distance. My youngest son very often does the second walk for me and will take them a couple of miles at least. They always come back exhausted when he's had them out :lol: He does usually stop halfway for them to have a lie down for about 20 minutes though whilst he chats to his mates & they get lots of fusses :lol: :flwr:

Oh my God... you're soooo lucky. Holly wants to be out walking constantly. She hates coming in from her walks.
Y

Kerry, :flwr:

should I tell you for some comparison that my Shelties like an hour in the morning and another in the afternoon if they can get it, mostly they get 30-40 mins for the second walk... thats alot of fast power walking and jogging during the day for them plus a bit of agility now and again if I have the energy left!! :lol:

on top of that....

Whitney gets her own 30 mins in the morning which I just love, she is my leisure walk...nice and slow with lots of chats to other walkers... she then joins the Shelties in the afternoon for the mad 30-40 mins off lead in the park with balls/toys and a little obedience training thrown in as well.

Wow they keep me slim and fit, I sleep well every night! :D

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

When I have my dogs I try to let them run free a least an houre a day, and if I can, take a walk too.

I must say that I think I have a cava-lab. Kos gets 3 walks per day - about 1/2 hour each walk (weather permitting.) On top of that we play fetch and "chase" in the house for about an hour per day. He never settles down except for a long nap in the morning, and then he crashes (really hard) about 10pm every evening. If he's being extremely naughty (who, Kosmo?) I will give him an extra long evening walk as that's the only thing that will settle him down. He does like his walkies though. :)

Gus is definitely not a morning dog... I think he gets that from me! He likes to go out first thing just to go to the bathroom then he locks his little legs and won't go any further. Then at noon we go out for about 30 mins and then at night another 30 minutes. With about 3 trips to the dog park a week to run free.

He does start to pant about the second block... do others cavs do this??

gosh..i think ive been walking my two way too little now that ive heard all you guys...i take my two for one 1 hour walk each day around 3 pm (weekdays)..and on weekends two 1 hour walks - morning and evening...is what im doing during the weekdays too less?

Coco has 1 1/2 hours walk every weekdays, and at weekends, we normally bring him to the beach, the parks..... :drivecar:
He has far TOO much energy, if he doesn't get his walkies he won't be going to bed at all (sometimes he won't go to bed even when he had his walkies) :?

Misha gets 3 5-10min walks and 1 30-60 minute walk. He's always gotten 1 30-60 minute walk and now he's 10yo. Weekends sometimes up to 90mins. Yesterday, I took him to a festival and we walked around for 2.5 hours. I'm just amazed at how these little guys can go!

Wow, Misha is doing really well for someone who is 10 years young :flwr:

Yvonne, I think as long as you and your baby are both happy with your walks it doesn't really matter. My two also run around the house and garden like lunatics and we play chase and ball a few times a day too so they get plenty of exercise.

I think most Cavaliers will make sure that they themselves get their exercise in. If Charlie hasn't had a long enough walk he'll have not one but 3 or 4 zoomie fits round the house until he gets so tired he'll just flop down and sleep :lol:

I took Dudley & Darby to the park last night and yes I let them off leash, nobody was around and Darby was so happy to have such a wonderful run. It is raining and wet here in Toronto today, so does not look like they will be able to go. I have promised myself to be more consistent with the walks or running.

It was so wonderful to see Darby running after Dudley, but yet always checking to see if I was around.

If I go right at dinnertime seems like not a soul is around.

The boys love it, and jumped right into the van as they were pretty tired.

Oh wonderful, it's lovely to let them have some free running when you have somewhere safe to take them.

I do think it is good for them to be able to have a really good run.

Mine have about 1/2 hr freerunning on the beach or at the heath every day, the younger boys have toys that they chase so that really exercises them and gets their brains working. TedBear is great at quartering an area to search for his toy...

They also have a very large garden to run around in and we play games at home.

It's difficult to find a balance when you have oldies, poorly dogs and young ones, but this seems to work for us. They are all muscled up nicely and fit, and keep their weight just right.

Do be careful with younger ones, esp under 9 months, who are still growing. Frequent short exercise sessions are best, they should never be so tired that they collapse with exhaustion.

Also be careful to avoid letting them run up and down stairs, preferably until at least 9 months. A few steps are ok, but not a staircase, as this puts a lot of strain on their joints.

Back