• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

MDs repair canine mitral valves in experimental research

Yes, many thanks for posting about this. I've passed the info from the website you gave on to my own vet, who is very interested in Cavaliers and has just been awarded his surgery certificate.

He pointed out that the sample size was very small (only 7 dogs) but it's a great start. We have often wondered why humans get surgery for heart failure, but it's rarely, if ever, offered to dogs?

Yes, many thanks for posting about this. I've passed the info from the website you gave on to my own vet, who is very interested in Cavaliers and has just been awarded his surgery certificate.

He pointed out that the sample size was very small but it's a great start. We have often wondered why humans get surgery for heart failure, but it's rarely, if ever, offered to dogs?

This study was conducted as a part of human research. Not only was the number of dogs low (only 7 dogs, one of which was dead at the time of the treatment to its removed heart), but so was the time period for post-operative observation -- just six weeks.

It is nothing more than a possible start of another approach to treating MVD.
--
Rod Russell

Last edited:
Back