• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

sm

LINDA CROSS

Can anybody tell me about sm. Can i ask my vet about it. I am picking up my puppy Tuesday. Should I take him to the vet Wednesday?

Hi Lynda,
SM is something that occurs gradually (any time up to 2.5 years) and not all vets know about it. Print off the pages in the SM section of the forum and bring them with you. Don't worry about it too much or you won't enjoy your puppy! Every time he scratches you'll think he has SM and lets face it, all dogs scratch.

However, I would advise you to get the puppy a check up as soon as you get it just to make sure there are no ear mites or other infections they can pick up in a litter.

Joanna

Usually one of the terms of the agreement with the breeder is that
you take your puppy to the vet within 1 week of picking him up.

I know that is what I had to do with Dudley just to make sure he was
healthy. Which he was and is Thank You God.

I agree with Joanna, I would not get to concerned with SM right away
it is very scarey and you will get paranoid and not enjoy your puppy.

Most folk on the board, are sharing experience that they have gone through, but it can also be a overwhelming in the beginning to someone who has not had a puppy for a long time.

I know I went through the paranoid about everything stage, so enjoy him.

I recommend reading the SM section of the board. Alot of good information there. I however am one of those people that has found most of the symptoms in my pup, but you have to realize (so do I) that most of the symptoms are normal things almost every puppy does. I believe it's when these symptoms are excessive you need to worry a little more. I'm concerned everytime Isabelle scratches herself, especially now that it's winter and there are no fleas. But then I had to remember, we as humans get itches and have to scratch them too. Doesn't mean SM.

Take care and enjoy the pup. If things just seem "wrong" or excessive, get medical attention ASAP.

I had to take my pup to the vet within 72 hours. Should be in the contract you signed!

This site has a sister site that is dedicated entirely to information on SM and cavaliers:

http://sm.cavaliertalk.com

This will walk you through the general background to what it is and what to watch for. It's a great idea to print out the general SM symptoms sheet and Dr Rusbridge's information sheet and give them to your vet just so they too have information on this condition -- few vets have heard of it or know of its prevalnece in cavaliers. I've set up both these documents so you can easily download them to your PC then print them out.

There's also information in the Health section of the Library and also some in the SM Forum of this site (which links from the SM Infopsite above).

Back