• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Not a good day for Leo

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Scratching and more scratching. I am guessing this is linked to rainy weather -- that is always the correlation now to extra scratching. I've upped his Neurontin to 50mg three times daily and when he gets like this, to 100mg 3x daily. It seems to have settled a bit since the second 100mg dose. There are chunks of black hair all over the house from him scratching out tufts from his ears, which were so beautiful only 3 months ago. Now they are really depleted.

It's disappointing to me that he had over a month of not scratching when he first went on Neurontin but it very quickly seems not to have given the same level of relief -- though I can definitely see the difference between when he doesn't have it, and when he does.

It's hard to watch them when they have bad days with SM. :(

I'm sorry to hear this :( Do you think you'll keep him on the 3/day 100mg for awhile?

Abbey doesn't have nearly the same relief on Gabopentin as she did with Furosemide. We'll be moving her back to that once she's done with the Gabopentin . I think we'll be able to tell then if Furosemide is really the drug for her or if perhaps her COSM has gotten worse. :(

Oh I'm so sorry Karlin...poor Leo. It's so distressing to watch them scratch and you feel so hopeless.

Have you tried putting an ice pack/frozen towel over his neck? I remember that some people had success with that.

Jen, it's strange how they're all so different...Frusemide didn't do anything for TedBear, whereas the Gabapentin is really effective. He is also on 3 times daily, 100mg each dose...had to go up from 2 times daily, and I can see when it's wearing off, he just lies down with his head between his paws. :(

Whilst it's working, he runs around and even plays with Jack for a few minutes at a time...he's a different dog. I can see how he would be without the Syringo....

Really hope that Leo will be a bit better when the weather settles again Karlin...I guess this is one of the problems with living on an island, our weather is so changeable.

Nicki said:
Oh I'm so sorry Karlin...poor Leo. It's so distressing to watch them scratch and you feel so hopeless.

Have you tried putting an ice pack/frozen towel over his neck? I remember that some people had success with that.

Jen, it's strange how they're all so different...Frusemide didn't do anything for TedBear, whereas the Gabapentin is really effective. He is also on 3 times daily, 100mg each dose...had to go up from 2 times daily, and I can see when it's wearing off, he just lies down with his head between his paws. :(

Whilst it's working, he runs around and even plays with Jack for a few minutes at a time...he's a different dog. I can see how he would be without the Syringo....

Really hope that Leo will be a bit better when the weather settles again Karlin...I guess this is one of the problems with living on an island, our weather is so changeable.

Abbey's issue is due more so to the velocity of the CSF flow, which would make sense then that the Furosemide helped her more. However, I was hoping Gabopentin helped as it has less side affects (no increased urinary issues anyway). Her MRI didn't show any syrinxes, but she does have the malformation, enough so where her CSF flow is off and causing symptoms. I'm now wondering if she's developed a syrinx. Once we switch her back to Furosemide we'll see if she's better. If not, then maybe it means she has worsened somehow--due to a syrinx or something else. I hate this, I hate not knowing what's going on with her or what's the best approach in dealing with it. :(

So sorry Karlin about Leo, really really sorry. :(

Life with an SM Cavalier has its ups and downs 24/7...

I hope he settles soon. :flwr:

Alison, Wilts, U.k.

Thanks all; he's much better after the second 100mg dose late this afternoon.

He seems to get worse as rain fronts come in. He wasn't really scratching at all during that long spell of hot weather.

I might try an ice pack or the old frozen peas approach. I usually pick him and hold him on his back and rub his chest, as I know that seems to help dogs that have bad sessions.

Oh Jen I'm sorry. :flwr:

I really hope it's not a sign of things getting worse :(

Is there a reason why she's not being given the Gabapentin and Frusemide at the same time?

I just hate this condition SO much :( :( Gentle hugs for the poor furbabies dealing with this...

On a more positive note, Rupert is really well with it at the moment, and being SO naughty :badgrin: which is a good sign really, but terribly frustrating at times...

I am so sorry to hear this about Leo and Abby....Katie is still not on any drug treatments as I do not feel she has showed strong enough signs yet...I am afraid I am learning by your post though that she will need them eventually....Katies MRI showed the malformation as well but no syrinxes yet... and a slight bulging of the brain....I hate SM ! :(

You just never know, Laurie; certainly given how widespread this seems to be in the breed, most dogs don't ever show any symptoms or they are very mild.

The chances are much greater that you won't have any problems, than that you will. :)

At this point I feel the uncertainty is just an aspect of owning the breed and I prefer to enjoy each day rather than worry uneccessarily about things that may never happen -- it is just too exhausting. There's uncertainty with all breeds of course and all living things, but it is difficult that this particular breed has two widespread and potentially serious health issues in MVD and SM.

So sorry to hear Leo has had a bad day. :( Rory goes through ups and downs, too. Some days just worse than others for no apparent reason.
I really find he is worse when there is increased excitement in the day.

Maybe worse with the weather?? I know others have said the weather seems to make a big difference.

I have found Rory really needs BOTH Furosemide and Gabapentin to be comfortable. If I forget either one of these, he starts to scratch more. While i was in Australia for a month, he stayed with my mom and she noted the same thing. It is trulyl the combination for Rory that does the trick.

Jen - have you tried using both at the same time?? That might be the next step.

{{{{{{{{Karlin and Leo}}}}}}}} how is the little angel now, Karlin?

I've noticed with Maxx that he always seems to scratch more when it's stormy. He does seem OK on Frusemide most of the time but I gave him a Norocarp the other afternoon and around 20 minutes later he was fine again. He's not really bad enough to go onto Gabapentin yet - thank goodness.

He's obviously feeling OK most of the time as he's getting naughtier as he's getting older :lol:

Back