• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy Housetraining

Evan

Could someone tell me if they know any good tips for housetraining puppies? my puppy (although not a cavalier) is partly trained but will go when let outside.

Also does anyone know any tips for stopping the dog from crying at night?
He wakes up around 2.30 then around 3.30 and then again at 7.00!!!

Yep note the reply I just made to Lindee in the general section! Also depending on age a puppy may well need to go outside at those points to wee/poop and that is why he is crying. Gradually they tend not to wake so early but these are babies and like small kids they tend to wake early. Make sure you are taking him out for a final wee and poop just before bedtime; also don't let the puppy fall asleep early in the evening and sleep all the way til when you are going to bed as this will cause him to wake too; he's had his sleep and is ready to play. Take up water for the last 2 hours or so before you go to bed so he isn;t filling his bladder.

If he is getting much older (like over 4-5 months) and still crying mid-of the night then you need to ignore it. If you are responding every time, even by going out to say no, he is getting the pay off of your attention for his behaviour. Just plug your ears and he'll stop trying to get your attention when you stop responding to his cries. You need to differentiate between whether he actually has a reason for crying (needing to go out) or is doing it to get you to play with him and visit him.

thanks for that karlin. but we figured out why Louie cries ; he wants to have human company! but if i sleep in a room downstairs and bring in his basket, he falls right to sleep and doesn't cry. Also during the night when we hear him crying and if we go into the kitchen (where he sleeps) we find he has done his "business" on the floor but we have to find out if it's because he is frightened of being alone in the dark or if he needs to go.

I dont thik he needs to go as i take him out before bedtime. But time will tell!! ;)

I can't bring him out to his toilet area on a lead thought because his neck is too skinny for a puppy collar! But the vet told us to try a cat collar. And if i try to attach the lead and i succeed, he doesnt move around much so i'll have to get him used to walking :D

What sort of puppy is he Evan? Got any photo's for us?

We always made sure that we had a really long playtime with Maxx before we went to bed, & we also left a radio on very quietly for him. We never had any problems with sleep and the only sleepless nights we had as a puppy were us worrying that he'd be OK! His 'breeder' also gave us a piece of Vetbed that had his Mum's smell on it - I'm sure that helped too.

We also used to confine him to the kitchen with his bed and a couple of cuddly toys. I think this helped as he wasn't roaming around the house wondering where we were. I'm not a lover of crates or cages and the only time Maxx ever goes in one is at the Vets or at the groomers (she has an enormous one) if we arrive early and she hasn't finished her last appointment.

he's a cross breed : a westie and a terrier.

Hes golden with dark gold/brown ears and paws ;)

i should have some pics soon.

Maxxs Mummy, did Maxx not cry at all? See Louie cries because he is lonely so i bring him (in his basket) into a room downstairs which i sleep in . I know it's not the best plan because he will get used to it but it's the only way i know to stop him crying.

maxxs_mummy,

I use a crate for Harry and i think they are great (if used correctly) Harry knows already that every morning when we get our coats on to go out that he has to go in his crate, and will do so on his own!
when i get back from dropping the kids off from the breakfast club i take him for a long walk (can't take him to breakfast club as a child there is allergic to animals :? ) then i drop him off at his "auntie's" house while i go to work.

He also sleeps in it at night, in my room i might add :lol: and we've never had any problems i have a cool pic of him asleep in his crate if you want to see it but can't get it on here...... again!

Heather

Louie is confined to the kitchen with his bed, a warm blanket, a hotwater bottle and cuddly toys :lol: but he still wants someone to be in the same room as him and as soon as he realises that you've left the room (at around 3.00 am i might add ;) ) he cries and scratches at the door!! AHHH!!! lol :lol:

Oh bless him :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No I can honestly say. Maxx never cried :D I am a very light sleeper too so it's not that I slept through it!

Tbh, we've had more sleepless nights with him as an adult than we ever did as a pup. Now it's because a light is causing a shadow or there is a fox or a frog in the garden but he's always been a little angel at night.

We used to have GSD who was a pain in the butt at bedtime but as she was my hubby's dog I used to make him go settle her!

but is it better that i ignore him? because i read somewhere that he has to learn that no one is gonna come every time he cries?

But he gets so upset :cry: !!

and he also does his "business" inside at night because no one can let him out, what can i do about this?

Try leaving him for say about 20 minutes, then go in then leave him for 30minutes and go in etc. I found it worked with my kids when they were small - the dogs are kids too LOL.

Again, I was really lucky with Maxxy, re; toilet training - his first Mummy was really hands on with the pups and took them outside regularly so he was already half way there by the time we got him at 15 weeks :D

Back