• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do other breeds get SM?

moniechris

I never read through all the way through this part of the forum, it makes me cry after three posts!! I have read much of the literature, as a precaution, but I can only read a few pages at a time. Purhaps I haven't gotten to it yet... but I have a question: Do other breeds get SM or is it mainly a cavalier thing? Does it tend to run in small breeds or is it not size specific? Are the symptoms the same?

Im not 100% sure but I think Dobermans also suffer from this. Im sure those with more knowledge will be able to give more info on this though

Some other smaller toy breeds have been known to be affected. Have known a few Yorkshire Terriers with it through other web sites.
Perhaps more prevalent to us with the CKCS as we have been made more aware of it within the breed.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

I keep a list of breeds that have been diagnosed with Syringomyelia:
To date, in addition to the above,

Boston Terrier
Chihuahua
French Bulldog
King Charles Spaniel
Maltese Terrier
Pomeranian
Staffordshire Bull Terrier

It has occured in other breeds due to trauma

As Alison says, Cavalier guardians and breeders are more aware of the condition than those in many other breeds...

Staffies? But I thought SM was caused by a small skull pressing on parts of the brain? Don't staffies have quite big heads? I understand the others- I note they're all toy breeds apart from Staffies.

Lisa_T said:
But I thought SM was caused by a small skull pressing on parts of the brain?

Not quite right.... ;) I hope this explains it,

it is cased by an incomplety formed occipital bone. This means that the skull is not large enough to accomodate the brain, and the cerebellum herniates through the foramen magnum. This in turn blocks the normal flow of cerebrospinal fluid, forcing it into the spinal canal, to form fluid filled cavaties, called syrinxes. As the syrinx expands and extends down the spinal cord, the normal healthy spinal cord tissue is obliterated, causing pain and other neuro symptoms. in addition, the more severe cases will have hydrocephalus as well, where the trapped fluid backs up into the brain itself.

SM seems to affect Cavaliers with both large and small heads.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Staffies ARE a brachycephalic breed and all breeds that get this particular form of SM are brachycephalic (short nosed). The one other breed that is showing a high incidence is Brussels Griffons, though seeminlgy not as high as cavaliers.

The form of SM that dobermans, ridgebacks and wiemeraners get is not the same in cause -- it is the dog equivalent of spinal bifida; the spinal cord doesn't completely form in utero.

Thank you so much for all of your responses...I really appreciate it as I am trying to educate myself as much as I can. I always overanalyze when I feel like I am unprepared for something...

Back