• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Busta got funny belly

Claire

Busta had his booster on Friday and then I wormed him on the Saturday evening, he was fine no problems.... but he had soft stools which have seemed to have got worse - we stuck with the James Welbeloved biscuits for a few day and didn't improve, so has been on chicken and rice for the last few days - still very runny, and there are bits of rice in a light brown gel consistency..... he will try and go a few times, the last few are very small amounts with a little blood in. He has never really been bad with poo (the last time he ate one of the bones but that passed through).... he is fine in himself, his last feed was last night, Darren suggested leaving his feed today and then feeding him tomorrow just to give his tummy some time to settle.... any comments.... I called the vets and they said keep with the chicken and rice (or try koly) and if not cleared up in a couple of days call them..... :(

Poor Busta. Yes in people they say to let the bowel rest 24 hours. I do that when my pups occaisionly get the GI thing. But make sure they have water to drink and are drinking. Then I just use chicken broth and rice and little pieces of chicken til I can see the poops are norma. The blood is likely just because of irritation to the bowel with the loose poops. Good luck. Make sure he is not running a temp also...if so I would call the vet back.

Poor Busta - sometimes worming can set off tummies :(

Several suggestions - a couple of dessert spoons of live natural yogurt with a baked potato for a couple of meals.

If really bad, try starving again first, then chicken broth {Monica Segal's recipe!}-

5 cups water
2 chicken wings
small carrot
stick of celery
1/2 sm potato
sm pinch of salt {to replace lost sodium etc}

Bring to the boil and simmer until the chicken is soft.
Leave to cool a bit and strain - I keep the chicken for later but dispose of the veg.
Once cold, strain off the fat.

They can manage quite well on this for a few days, and it seems to help through a bad patch of diarrhoea.

If you are seeing more than a tiny amount of blood in it though I would go straight to the vets - and/or if they are very flat.

Hope he's better soon.

Fanks Aunty Nicki...... Mums going to starve me for 24 hours, so no treats or chicken....... :?

I think the biggest piece of advice I ever got about a bad tummy was to let the tummy rest for 24 hours. The tract needs to clean itself out completely and then go with chicken and rice for several days.

Poor Busty wusti...we nowes How use feeeels...ouYR Rotttten Mummie strvs us 2 sumtimes xxxxx

Arr Mummee starrrvs us as well its not fairrrrrrrrrrrr :(

AND CharlEe wen ta see Unkul Jaymz tadee an I ad ta stay ome :(

Luvs Maxxy xxxXxx

sorry to hear about the symptoms. glad to hear he's acting like he feels OK at least. that's so important. was it a rabies booster?

what's koly?

Yep, thats what I mean't.... Busta still wasn't all the good last night so we took him to the vets, he had a temperature and was very gassy, and on the way there he did a poo so I took that in - he is on Kaobiotic for 5 days and his poo has been sent away for analysis (another 100.00 at the vet!!!). He had chicken and rice last night and did not go during the night so fingers crossed, little sod this morning didn't want the rice and only had chicken - although I got to admit I cooked wrong so it was a bit stodgy. :yikes

Another Cavalier gourmet :lol:

TedBear always fishes out the chicken and leaves the rice too...I put the broth in with it and then he tends to eat the lot!

Sorry to hear you had yet another vet trip...when's he buying his new car :yikes ...

Prob best to get it checked out and see what's going on, hope he's feeling better today

Oh poor {{{{{{{{Busta}}}}}}}} hope he soon recovers Claire, is he insured? I'm certainly glad that my two are! It costs a lot for the payments every month but tbh I had had far more back last year than I have paid in over the last few years!

My two won't eat stodgy rice either, if it's any consolation - unless like Nicki says, we mix some broth in with it first - they're little Michelin star gourmets this lot :lol:

If it's any consolation I have used Kaobiotic with Maxx in the past and it's usually worked pretty quickly.

Big hugs from me and licky kisses from the boys for Busta xxxxxx

Thank god they are all insured - they are going to think I am mistreating them all - had to claim when Woody knocked himself out, put a claim through this morning at the vets for Ozzy and now Busta. Darren just phoned me to say that Mollie has the runs down at his mums so I am going to go home early and fetch her down with the boys.

maybe it's something contagious--unless they both ate something disagreeable.

i was thinking the combination of the booster and the worming could've thrown things off. it seems more like that kind of thing than him having eaten something bad.

how's he doing today?

i am paying really high premiums for Zack's insurance, and just filed three claims this past week. I've never filed a claim before so i'm waiting to see if they pay. They better. I've held up my end of the bargain. Anyway, it would sure help to get some of that money back. In the past week, i've spent a total of over $500, some of it wasn't related to the sickness, like anal gland expression and toenail clipping, but most of it was. The blood test was $187. One of the medications was $93. i am very glad to have the insurance. If they pay that is.

I have all three with Sainsbury's, who seemed to be quite good at settling the claim I made with Woody, fingers crossed they settle Ozzy's one... Mollie is seems has been eating stuff in the garden and she is okay now. Just had a call from the vet who advised that the analysis came back normal, he said that the stomach bacteria is a little off so I have to pick up some of the 'good' paste on my way home and keep Busta on the chicken and rice for three days - he did a better poo this morning - fingers crossed.

Back