• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

HELP - info needed on moving home!!

petitchien

Hi all,

I hope that someone can help me with settling my little one into our new home!!
We moved house at the weekend and since then in the evenings we can't seem to settle Gizmo into his new sleeping area.

We were staying with relatives and he used to stay in the garage with heaters / radio and different areas to play/ sleep in and he loved it.

Now we tried to put him in the kitchen with all the same stuff and he was crying and not settling in .....

He is used to the house as we've been doing it up and he's been over there plenty over the past few months ...

We think it's because he can hear us upstairs and in the garage he wouldn't have heard that??

So, over the weekend we have him in our bedroom and he's sleeping in our bed (not even in his bed in our room) ... he's been really good and it's a nice treat for us but we don't want to get him into the habit .....

Can someone please advise? Do we just stick it out with him crying in the kitchen until he gets used to it????

Boy - I can just imagine what having kids must be like !!!!

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions !!!!!

Thanks ....

You'll need to tolerate some crying til he settles in but he will. If you have any of the bedding from his last 'home' I'd use all of that so the smells are the same, but you are probably doing that. Also the radio on low. One idea is to keep him very active and play with him and perhaps give him a last walk all right before bedtime, so that he's especially tired. Of course the alternative is to let him stay in your room... :lol: Mine both sleep on (or in!) the bed. When Jaspar was a puppy I said I'd let him up 'just once or twice...' :roll:

Hi Karlin,

Thanks for the info ... we are doing all of that already....
I think with the move we wanted to have him close and any excuse to have him with us was taken !! My husband was actually the one to go down and take all his bedding + blanket and bring him up (and he says I'm the soft one icon_whistling

It is great to hear his little snores and his grunts when we "displace" him :| but there are times when it won't be feasible to have him with us and I would rather try and keep it as a treat rather than the norm ....

He'll be with us for the rest of the week anyway and we'll try and settle him after the house warming party at the weekend ...... (we may find more reasons to leave it as it is though !!! )

I'll keep you posted and thanks for your input on this ....

Two extra in the bed

We made that mistake when we first bough Busta home, he was crying for an hour and half and I just could'nt take it - I have a low bed from IKEA so he could get up easy, I did have his bed next to me and keep putting him back but....hey I am a softee, he normally starts off on the end of the bed and then when I am waking up is on the pillow that I put next to me..... Woody came straight up to our bed, he starts off under the duvet next to me, then comes out and sleeps on the end and then half an hour before we wake comes and sits by me and stares... freaky dog. I did have the problem where I was sleepy round them but ended up being boss, my husband has a greats night sleep as they do not bother him.

Thanks for sharing csprice :lol:
It's nice to know we aren't the only softees here (although on a board like this I'm sure there are many of us!)

We have decided to let Gizmo stay in bed with us for the next couple of weeks. We have a high bed but he bounds up no problem. We do keep his bed in the room aswell but it may not even be there!

He'll sleep in between us and then during the night he'll move from one to the other......usually putting his head on the pillow!!

He ALWAYS sleeps with his paws crossed so we always know when he's getting tired as the paws cross over even if he's fighting to keep his eyes open
:eek:

So far he's been great .... so good in fact that he won't even pee on the paper in the kitchen downstairs but insists on being let out the back. All well and good during the day but in the middle of the night with snow and minus degrees ... not so much!!

Petitchien, you're not the only soppy ones don't worry. My babies sleep with us too. Maxx usually starts off on the bed but then gets hot and so clambers down and wanders into the en-suite (hubby calls it Maxx's bedroom) where we can hear his gentle snores. He gets back up in the morning for a cuddle or in the night if he's cold. When he was a baby he used to get under the duvet and sleep on my chest LOL

Charlie starts off on his bed at the side of our bed but you can guarantee that before morning he will lick hubby's hand to be picked up (he can get up easily but why jump when your Daddy is your willing slave?). He very often gets in between us or sleeps by my feet. The other night however, he got under the bottom of the duvet by hubby's feet (brave boy) and shoved his nose out when I got up to use the bathroom LOL

Hi ...

Well we seem to have him "trained" to stay in his bed now in our room .. he still jumps up the odd time but we point to his bed and he goes into it .... That was only last night so I'm not saying it'll continue ... will work on it and see how it goes ....

Hi Petitchien,
I can sympatise as I got a new puppy recently and she cried a bit the first night in the kitchen too. It was hard but my boyfriend said before we got her that 2 of us and a cat in the bed was enough!!!!
I got her a fleece covered hot water bottle and fill it every night for her. Now she knows when i fill it, its bed time. The last few nights she just goes straight to bed instead of looking at me with those sad eyes when I'm going to bed.
It's also very handy cause I can bring it anywhere and she knows her bed is where the hot water bottle is.
All that said, if I was on my own she would be in the bed with me all night!!!!!

Hi Norah .....

That's a really good idea ..... how long did yours take to settle into the routine and stop crying?

We are going to start leaving him in the kitchen on Friday night (so at least if he does cry alot we have a couple of nights to recover with no work to worry about)

She did bark for a few minutes for the first few nights, 4 or 5 nights. I have her just over 2 weeks now and she has completely settled in the kitchen, and also in the last week there has only been 1 toiliting accident over night. I think the hot water bottle keeps her cosy and warm and she sleeps better and longer.
Good luck and let me know if it works for you.
I'll be thinking of you over the weekend, it is very hard to leave them when they're crying. icon_crying

Hi Norah,

Unfortunately I have a problem viewing pics on this site so I'm afraid I'll have to try and get that sorted before seeing Ruby with her hotwater bottle :cry:

Wanted to give you an update on Gizmo .... it was night 3 last night and he's doing extremely well :p :p icon_banana

He now sleeps in his bed + blanket in our room and hasn't had any accidents .... he will look at us with those adorable eyes when we go to the toilet during the night but we'll point and say bed and he totters off in there again ...sometimes we'd love him to come in with us but we have to be strong as it's not fair on him not knowing when it'd suit us and when it wouldn't ...

So I think it's going to be ok now ...... I've ordered him a lovely fleece to keep him extra warm during the night as he sometimes mesess his blanket .... such a cutie ...

UPDATE ...

Well as the festive season is in full swing ... I can update you on Gizmo's sleeping patterns .....

He abandoned his bed+blanket once we got him his little fleece and now sleeps on the OHs fleece beside the bed ......

We usually let him out once during the night if he wakes us up to go to the toilet (sometimes he's fine the whole night through) ...

Then about 1/2 hour before we get up, when the heating comes on, we let him sleep on the bed with us .... and of course he has to put his head on the pillow like Mum + Dad!! :D

Awwwwwwwwwwww bless him :D I've got a photo on my mobile phone of Charlie fast asleep on my pillow :lol:

I always know when he's been there as he leaves a trail of ginger fur behind LOL

Back