• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Daisy's MVD Check Up

Brian M

Hi

Took my Daisy at 11.45 am today to see Simon at North West Surgeons .She is still there ,after his initial
examination he thinks she has gone from last August's Grade 2 murmur to a now Grade 4 but wants to confirm
this after she has undergone an echocardiogram test ,an electrocardiogram test and possibly a doppler test.So I
go back to get her in a couple of hours and see what he says and advises for the future .Poor Daisy it
brought a lump to my throat and I am utterly shocked as she seems no different to what she was 1 ,2
or even 4 years ago .

brian :(

Hello Rod

She was 5 on Jan 9 ,yes will update you on her report .I also have a feeling from
what he indicated before she will be on no medication yet .Your site was the first
thing I have been reading .

Rgds

Brian

Last edited:
Brian, if the cardiologist says no medication yet, then that is fairly good news. It probably means no significant enlargement of the heart, if any.

Hi,
sorry to hear. I know a cav that is grade 5 and no medicine so maybe Daisy will still be ok.
Kitty

Hi

She was bright and responsive ,her heart beat was regular and her pulses full and synchronous but a Grade 4 caudal systolic murmur could be detected .The Echocardiogram showed a thickening mitral valve and the left atrium was slightly dilated and left ventricle rounded and Doppler colour flow showed a moderate jet of mitral egurgitation ,deep breath ,the average time to heart failure fro here is about 30 months .She was presribed no medication and will have none till we reach CHF but to continue with a low sodium food and Omega3 and Taurine. He was disappointed that her heart disease had progressed ,and the murmur is louder and accompanied by structural changes but heart failur is not imminent ,which is good as she has to get to the top of Skiddaw next week with me at least four times cos if I can do it so can Daisy Do.

Shock ,deep sadness and lots of other emotions for me but as for now for Daisy she hasn't a clue whats happening she is still my 12 month old Dangerous Daisy and I will do my damnest for her to be so for another 120 months at least as she is going nowhere soon .Thanks for all your support and good wishes it does help and it means a lot and I will tell Daisy what you all said when she wakes up after her zzzzzz and hard day.Thank You .Best Wishes brian

Ps I must say what a marvellous man Simon is he has my very best thanks and utter trust ,we go back in 8 months I couldnt take her any other place.Daisy even went walkies around all their offices for twenty minutes acting the show girl she is and had them all eating out of her little paw .

Awe...so glad that the report was no medication for now. You both will remain in my prayers.

Lots of mixed emotions for you, I understand. Sorry her heart disease has progressed, but just remember, she is still the same Daisy as she was yesterday and she is still just your same Daisy Do.

Brian, I am so sorry to read this. I have gone through a similar experience with Coco. I have read quite a bit (including Cavalierhealth.org) and have condensed and illustrated the information to help all of us.
It is frightening and confusing when faced with something like this.

Please have a look at Cavalier Matters website, I hope it will help and comfort you. You are extremely fortunate Daisy is in good hands.

Generally speaking Cardiologists do not prescribe medication until heart failure. Even then our precious little souls can continue have good quality life for quite sometime. It is important to recognise the signs of heart failure. The MVD section is not finished but I hope it will help you. Hugs to Daisy.

Bri love did you get anywhere with understanding how darlin daisy had gone from a 2 to a 4 as we discussed? im so sorry i couldnt speak for longer & also that i was unable to articulate terribly well,like you my friend i was just shocked, so convinced was i that she was going to be much the same......I should have said my heart goes out to you,knowing how i felt when our cardio told me Ruby had approx a year before HF. You'll remember Bri that when i got outside i ran with Rubes in my arms,away from our friends & even Jels to a quiet spot & wailed for England!Heart broken for her & me, I do remember you did much better than i, on the phone to me that day-you didnt keep just repeating sweary words like i did today!! I hope thats made you laugh anyway!

much more valid is the fact that rubes had a year, 2 1/2 years ago(ish)& like i always say she's going to prove them wrong & now dangerous daisy will prove them all wrong& she will keep you on your toes for a long time yet,God willing. Daisy couldnt be in safer,more loving hands than with you,Dawn & Luke & of course Simons.

Bestest wishes & give her a love from my 2 xx

Brian I am so sorry to read this about Daisy and understand your feeling about the shock as I felt just the same with Jasper, he was between 7 and 8 when when we found out he had heart problems and it was such a shock I felt that we would lose his so soon, he went on medication at 9 yrs old and inbetween had tests, he is a Grade 6, but with 3 month check ups he has turned 12 years old which I feel is such an acheivement, he went for a check up just this week and is still ok, he loves his walks, he has slowed down at home he sleeps a lot but I feel that is much to do with his age rather than his heart, he can still chase Ollie round the garden to jump on his back, he thinks Ollie is girl, he never gives up on things, he is very stubborn in character which I feel keeps him going, it seems from what you say about Daisy she is also a little character, I am sure you will have her for many years to come.

Hi Brian so sorry to hear this news, knowing how much your girls mean to you I know this news will have hit you hard. Daisy has the best family around and has and always will have everything she needs, and that makes the difference. Dangerous Daisy has not changed and is still the character she always has been. Sending love to you, Dawn, Luke and the girls

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?iabkfk

Hi Brian, I'm so sorry to read about Daisy's diagnosis and I totally feel your pain. We are celebrating Trappers first anniversary of his 'six months' prognosis, so here's hoping that both Trapper and Daisy, along with all the other cav's here continue to defy the odds. He is on vetmedin,frusemide, fortekor and prilactone, cant go for walks anymore, costing me a fortune in vet visits but he is worth every penny. Especially when he does his flying leap up the steps of the deck into the house :)
Take care and try not to worry too much

Hi Brian
Sorry to hear about Daisy.

Medication for heart problems has come such a long way since my first MVD dog was diagnosed.
I know it is not what you want for her but she can live for many years on the new type of drugs.

Love to you all

Nanette

I'm so sorry to read about your Daisy. I pray that even tho this has progressed..it won't get any worse & she can still live a good quality life. If she needs med.'s..then I hope your Vet finds the right med. for her.
Dogs know there is something wrong w/ them..but it's only us humans that realize the seriousness. Keep loving on her like you always have.
Blessings...

Back