• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Back from weekend in the country - with FLEAS! :(

bellacherie

We just came back from visiting my partner's parents, and since returning I have found 3 fleas on Bella.

She was treated 2 weeks ago with frontline :confused: and I've just hotwashed all her bedding and toys.

Is there something else I can do? :(

I would probably trust the Frontline to kill them within 24 hours. If it's Frontline Plus, it also has a component that sterilizes any fleas that don't die quick enough to prevent breeding.

If you think it didn't do the trick, you can get Capstar tablets from your vet. I used these on the recommendation of a rescue group I was working with on two rescue Cavaliers in December. It is supposed to kill all fleas on the dogs within one hour. So I kept them in their crate for the first hour. There were several struggling fleas on the bedding I had in their crate. I gave them another one the next day. They said by the 3rd day, the Frontline Plus would have kicked in.

Keep in mind that if the fleas are crawling around frantically, then that's a sign that the Frontline is working.

Good luck! Hopefully everything will work as it should. Our Daisy got some fleas last Christmas break (not this past one, the one before) on our trip, and the Frontline took care of them. Within a day, we didn't see any more on her.

Our two were treated but soon after both caught fleas, we think out in the park and we used a medicated shampoo that was fairly mild and you could literally see dead fleas on floor afterwords and with little black flea collars under their regular collar they seem to have been exterminated entirely. Best of luck !:xfngr:

I'm not sure if it's because it's easier to see them in these places, but I found them all on her face and belly.

I will look into those other things today - I really don't want to flea bomb the place....

I just hate watching her scratch and bite at herself :(

I would call the vet and ask if she could have a Capstar tablet (prescription). Then wash everything that can be washed and vacuum everything else! Also, make sure you properly apply the Frontline Plus - it has to go on her skin and not her hair. This is tricky getting the entire application on her skin - I think it's a two person operation. Make sure you talk to the vet to find out what went wrong; she shouldn't have fleas with Frontline Plus.

Did you buy the Frontline Plus from the vet? My vet office has signs up warning pet owners that if they buy flea treatments on the Internet it could end up being a fake treatment.

Back