• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Swallowed Q-Tips

Ginger's Mom

Now that Ginger's eye problem disappeared she decided to give us a new excitement. She climbed up on our table to munch on some disgusting Q-tips that my husband just used for his ears. Ugh! When DH caught her, he just saw a long q-tip almost going down her throat so he immediately took it out and took everything away from her. We didn't think that she actually ate any of the q-tips.

This morning I woke up and Ginger's coughing up little bits of Q-Tips, about 1/2 an inch long... it looked like she must have eaten at least 7-8 of them all... I think she got all of them out of her system, but I'm not sure. She ate her breakfast this morning (gulping down as usual) and her stool looks normal.

Is there anything I should check? :roll: I feel like I'm a bad parent. :?

I don't have a ton of advice. But, I've caught both the cat and the dog picking them out of the trash and trying to eat them. It amazes me the gross stuff pets like to eat.

First off, you aren't a bad parent. As much as we like to think otherwise Cavaliers are still dogs. They will eat nasty stuff, roll in stinky stuff, and do other disgusting things just like their less civilized counterparts.

Continue to watch her. She may drink more; I know that there isn't a lot of cotton on a Q-tip but since you aren't positive how many she got then there may be more in her gut than you realize and it will make her more thirsty. (And if it took 7 or 8 Q-tips to clean out hubby's ears I'd take him in and have them flushed :D )

Broken record here, but call the vet. They may advice you to bulk up the dog's diet (w/bread, etc.) so that everything will pass on through better. They may tell you to just keep an eye on her until everything comes out in the end.

(And I hope you know that I'm teasing about your hubby. Mine had to have his flushed out because he had packed down all the gunk by using Q-tips.)

Thank you Critter for your advice. I'll keep an eye on her and make sure she gets everything out of her body

Crittercall said:
(And if it took 7 or 8 Q-tips to clean out hubby's ears I'd take him in and have them flushed :D )

LOL, absolutely NO OFFENSE taken, but I feel I have to justify this for my hubby. Hubby used just 2 q-tips but had a box of clean ones out. :)

Did you find the sticks though? I mind be a bit concerned about those, they are long. Dont mean to alarm you, but better to be safe than sorry. Kodee keeps eating pine needles! She is on a leash and I try to keep her away but our lawn is afloat right now and with snow I cant exactly rake them up. You think she would learn the 1st, 2nd, 3rd....100th time she has done it and then gagged.. some days I gotta blame the lil' munchkin for raising my blood pressure!!

Oh my doberman as a teen swallowed my moms wedding band and my grandfather knew this so called the vet and got a copy of the xray showing the ring. He blew it up and framed it for christmas for them!

Hi Kodee, thanks for your message. I found the sticks this morning when Ginger threw up.. It was a pile in itzy bitzy pieces about 1/2 inches long.. Looks like she got most of them out of the system, but I should be taking her to the vet to make sure.. You're right, it's better to be safe than to be sorry..

The story on your doberman and the blown up picture for x-mas :sl*p: , that's TOO funny!!

Ginger's Mom said:
Hi Kodee, thanks for your message. I found the sticks this morning when Ginger threw up.. It was a pile in itzy bitzy pieces about 1/2 inches long.. Looks like she got most of them out of the system, but I should be taking her to the vet to make sure.. You're right, it's better to be safe than to be sorry..

The story on your doberman and the blown up picture for x-mas :sl*p: , that's TOO funny!!

If she threw them up your probably ok - I read what you wrote to mean she was throwing up cotton not the sticks chewed up, sorry I misunderstood. I copied Crittercalls advice as it was great advice and we all hit those moments they get into something.

to echo the others---yes just keep watching her and call the vet, but it sounds like ginger is ok.

thanks for posting this as well. indy also loves my husband's earwax :yuk: and mine and has pulled q tips out of the trash on several occasions. in fact we found him with one this morning.....why do they do this??? :roll:

keep us updated!

k

Back