• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Eye Query

Firstly, thanks to all who replied on food query, Donnie is now eating better, at least one meal a day sometimes two. He was very poor to eat so it shows following the rules works!

My query this time is if anyone has experience with eye problems? His right eye has more white showing in the inside corner than the left. So it looks like he has a cod eye. I suspected it a few weeks ago but its much more noticable now. I'm going to take him to the vet shortly but wondered if you know if there is anything can be done with this and if so what it would entail.

Thanks!
Marie

If you've noticed a change, definitely have the vet check it out to make sure everything is normal. However, it is not unusual for cavaliers to have some white showing, and sometimes the amount is not the same in each eye. The goal of a good breeder is to breed the eyes so that they are all dark, but if you look through the pictures in the gallery, you'll see that's not always the case.

I am thinking that this sounds like normal pigment. Just as your Cavalier can have a patch of white on one shoulder & a patch of brown on the other, so too can the nictitating membrane (third eyelid) be brown on one eye and white on another.

If this is what it is, it has no health consequences at all and is simply cosmetic. It is not a genetic fault or defect just as the one brown shoulder & one white is not. The only reason (correct me if I am wrong someone) breeders don't like to see it in their dogs is that it can be viewed as unfavourable in the showring.

If you are worried though it is always best to see your vet.

Back