• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Silent but deadly! (toots)

FranklinFreckles

Hello everyone! Just finished my introduction post and already here I am with a question :rolleyes:

My nearly-6 month old cavvie Franklin had a little scare a week ago when he had some bloody poop in the middle of the night (despite being very good about going potty outside). We rushed (of course) to the closest Emergency Vet, terrified of parvo and it turns out he had giardia. He took his medicine like a champ and LOVED his "bland diet" of baked chicken and low fat cottaged cheese. We never had a recurrence of blood and his stool was normal after two days. We finished the diet/medicine per doctors orders and he seems to be doing just fine now :)

During the time he was sick, he had some really potent farts which I was blaming on the giardia. Thing is, they still happen although slightly less frequently. They don't really smell like dog farts but they smell like fresh diaharea and I actually ran around looking for poops until I realized it was just farts.

Is this normal or something I should be concerned about? Is it something that will probably pass in time or something I can help be less potent? We live in a small apartment and it makes me sad to walk in the front door and be greeted with the smell of poo along with a little wagging tail.

Last edited:
Puppies sometimes just have sensitive stomachs and often this passes when they reach about a year old. If your dog has regular gas it is a sign of some digestive difficulties but not necessarily anything that is a real problem. I would make sure your pup is on a very good quality food meaning nothing from the supermarket and also consider trying something without grains or without chicken. If my dogs get supermarket food it causes terrible gas. I have one cavalier who has a sensitive stomach and she often has a lot of gas after any sort of treats or anything that veers away from her usual diet of homecooked meals or James Wellbeloved. The same dog is prone to gastroenteritis so I have to be careful of what she gets to eat. The blander, the better.

I agree with what others have said, also with antibiotics, I find plain yogurt often helps settle the digestive track. If you can find it, non-dairy yogurt is best for dogs. Or you can use a good pro-biotic (which is essentially what the yogurt is for) to help with that as well.

On the flip side, dairy products like yoghurt can sometimes cause problems with indigestion for many dogs because most cannot digest lactase. So be cautious with amounts if you choose to try yoghurt. (y)

Kosmo had some really bad gas when he was on a certian food for a while but we've since switched foods and the "chronic problem" has passed.

On the other hand, sometimes I will smell the "poop farts" and I immediately will get up and take them both on a walk. 90% of the time, one of them has to poop and then the farts stop coming or at least stinking. It might sound weird, but hey, it works for us! :flwr:

Back