• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Diet variety

moniechris

So I am a neurotic mommy and I have been doing more than my share of research on quality pet foods and their benefits. Almost everywhere I am reading now is suggesting switching around protien sources for variety in their diet. I find this very interesting as it is a complete change in theory to the old "change is bad" principle that has ruled the industry forever. I also understand the boredom issues, as Karlin as mentioned before (bowl of Total every morning ;) )

So here is my question: Cody gets an uset tummy really easily from change in his food. I always add veggies (they loooove broccoli/zucchini etc) and/or chicken broth, pumpkin, yams etc. so they are never bored... How can I vary protien sources without giving him the runs?

Also, with my shih tzu, he eats the NV raw. How often does everyone alternate the protien sources with the raw diet? Is it week by week, daily etc?

Thanks guys!! your input is invaluable!!:D

I probably wouldn't vary protein sources for a dog who gets gastric problems when this is done. Some just have sensitive stomachs. bring in variety in other ways -- you can add protein with an egg or some peanutes too, don;t forget!

My guys go nuts in the kitchen when they hear me peeling their eggs. They love them! I prefer to cook them, hard boiled or scrambled. Lots of people feed raw, but do be sure to give both the yolk & the whites. Don't forget about the egg shells as a great source of calcium. Make sure they are clean, dry them & then put them in a moderate oven for about 15 minutes to crisp them up & break down the skin lining inside, then grind into a very fine powder & mix into dinner that night. Some people grind them in a coffee mill but I do mine with the mortar & pestle. I really enjoy working in the loving thoughts while I am grinding away :D

Geordie is much like Cody with his sensitivity to changing foods. Lately I've been scrambling eggs on the weekends and adding that to his food, which he truly enjoys. :) Haven't had problems with eggs!:xfngr:

Back