• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How far to walk?

CVFlagg

Well we just returned from the vet for an allergy visit and my "little" Bentley is up to 20 pounds ! I have cut back on his food and added veggies to his diet but I don't think he is getting enough exercise.

How far do you normally go on walks? Problem is I think he is so over weight and out of shape that he just can't go far. We go about 3 or 4 houses down and he acts as though he is on his last breath and he is only 3! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, the vet gave me a "stern" warning about getting some weight off and soon. Thanks!!!

I'd approach this the same way you would an overweight & unfit human. Start off by just walking him very slowly for 10 minutes, several times a day if possible, then build up the time & the speed until you can both walk comfortably at a brisk pace for say 30 minutes. You will find that if you walk him every day & get some of that weight off, his fitness will really escalate.

For an unfit person or dog, several short walks can really add up. Initially, it does not all have to be done in 1 or 2 sessions.

Good luck!

I agree but would go for 15 minutes, then 30 minutes at least twice a day.

If you have the time for an hour twice a day, that's probably optimum. :flwr:

Also cut the food rations down, cut out the treats, etc.

Good luck, it's very hard to lose weight, takes a lot of effort. :)

I would take him for several short walks, but don't let him overdo it. He probably doesn't feel well with all the excess weight and the strain it may put on his joints and back. As he loses weight from dieting and his short walks, he will soon feel like walking more.

I would cut out all treats, except for frozen cut green beans as treats. He will most likely enjoy these!

Thank you all for your advice. It sounds like I need to start getting up a bit earlier in the morning and get a good 10-15 minutes in and the another walk when I reutrn home. I am also going to ask my sitter who visits during the day to try and get in a quick walk.

It is about to get very hot in Texas as the summer nears so I would like to get some of the weight off before the heat rolls in. I have elimated treats already except for "special" treats which are only a piece of his kibble (he doesn't realize it is just his food!). I'll keep you posted on our progress, mom could stand a little exercise herself!

Back