• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Need your prayers...Gracie update

GraciesMom

Gracie is back at vet hospital. We are having trouble managing her pain. They have her on IV pain meds and she slept thru the night. It does not appear to be swelling or inflammation. And she is still eTing ok. They were thinking she may have what is called pain windup where her receptors are over-reacting and trying to wind it down with some strong meds. But she still yelped pretty bad when she went out to potty. It is odd that it comes and goes....and when it comes she sits up and gets very tense like she is having a wave of pain or bad spasm. Then it goes away.

The surgeon will look at her today and see if he can find anything problematic inside that did not show up initially. The fear is that she is now feeling pain from the syrinx triggered by spinal fluid finally going where it needs to go. We may not be able to control this enough....she has a very large syrinx after all. I do know that I will not let her suffer if we can't get this under control. Prayers and whatever you believe appreciated so much.

I'm so sorry Debra, sending healing thoughts and our love to you all - so many people on here care about you, your husband and precious Gracie, I hope that that will give you all the strength to get through this. :flwr:

I am so sorry :( I am praying hard for you. I know gracie is a strong girl and you are doing the right thing.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I'm so sorry to read about this setback. I hope the vet will get it figured out and that your Gracie will be back on the road to recovery. :xfngr:

Debra,
I know it must be hard but try and keep strong. This maybe a setback that can easily be rectified.
My warmest wishes and prayers are winging their way to you and Gracie (& Hubby) of course.

:flwr:
Mel

Prayers for Gracie.

Really sad to hear of Gracie's setback. We will all be praying for Gracie and you and your family.

Oh Debra, I am at at loss for words. I think you need to just give it a bit of time. The body is incredible and Gracie hasn't even had a week to heal. Perhaps as time goes on, it will begin to calm out as the body and brain adjust. I remember when my Nash had the first bout of pancreatitis, he we in so much pain, and crying all the time. We were so scared. It just took some time for his body to heal. Also remembering my dads recent brain surgery. The second one was more painful than the first, and it took longer for him to be pain free.

In the meantime, know that I am praying for you all. Praying most that Gracie will become pain free, or at least lesser pain and rally back. Hugs to you all.

Last edited:
This is terrible to hear. Praying for the best possible outcome. Love you and Gracie. With the help of the doctors, you will make the right decision

I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope they can find the issue and give her some relief. Many thoughts going out to all of you :hug:

Becky

Lots of love and prayers heading your way. I really think she is going to get through this :hug:

Latest update... slightly better news but very cautious

Hubby just got back from the vet clinic. They only let one of us visit and he is the better one to see her now.... I am a mess! Gracie was definitely better... but that is a cautious better. They are transitioning her to a fentanyl pain patch and prednisone. After examiming her, they feel that the incision area itself is indicating some inflammation or irritation, but no fever. It is overly tender to touch that area. They are conferring directly with Dr. Schubert.... this is the downside of having surgery away from home, but they are sharing information frequently.

Hopefully, prednisone will help any inflammation. Hubby said she was happy to see him and rested in his lap... she looked much better overall. She went back to her crate there willingly... like she just wants to rest and get more drugs. She is pretty out of it, so she is not really missing us at this point.

Hubby just got back from the vet clinic. They only let one of us visit and he is the better one to see her now.... I am a mess! Gracie was definitely better... but that is a cautious better. They are transitioning her to a fentanyl pain patch and prednisone. After examiming her, they feel that the incision area itself is indicating some inflammation or irritation, but no fever. It is overly tender to touch that area. They are conferring directly with Dr. Schubert.... this is the downside of having surgery away from home, but they are sharing information frequently.

Hopefully, prednisone will help any inflammation. Hubby said she was happy to see him and rested in his lap... she looked much better overall. She went back to her crate there willingly... like she just wants to rest and get more drugs. She is pretty out of it, so she is not really missing us at this point.

Heartbreaking. Ive personally never heard of a surgery failing for this reason.... (meaning dog with a severe syrinx that all of a sudden breaks down because the spinal flyid being restored after surgery) Honestly; if thats a real possibility then I would really need to know as Blondir gas a large syrinx too with symptoms that dont correlate to the severity of syrinx. Maybe Karlin or Russ now more..? But since i havent heard of this i have good hopes!! I think her body will restore... Hang in there! Love ur gracie

Being a little clearer on the syrinx issue

Good point BlondieMonster. What the doctor in Florida said was not that the syrinx might be breaking down... but that the infusion of spinal fluid could be irritating the syrinx so that it is causing periodic pain... maybe temporarily as the CSF enters the spinal areas. I hope others here know more about this and can speak to it. They honestly do not know for sure... it may just be that the surgical area is overly tender for no reason or for a major reason, such as inflammation in the area. Because it comes and goes... and is not constant, that rules out some issues that would cause constant pain. We may never know for sure....

Good point BlondieMonster. What the doctor in Florida said was not that the syrinx might be breaking down... but that the infusion of spinal fluid could be irritating the syrinx so that it is causing periodic pain... maybe temporarily as the CSF enters the spinal areas. I hope others here know more about this and can speak to it. They honestly do not know for sure... it may just be that the surgical area is overly tender for no reason or for a major reason, such as inflammation in the area. Because it comes and goes... and is not constant, that rules out some issues that would cause constant pain. We may never know for sure....

U could see that... Just imagine everything in the back if ur brain stops flowing and there is water in ur spain, all o a sudden flow restores; as almost taking your finger of a gardenhose. I could see how that causes discomfort. If u hold a river from flowing with a dam and then remove the dam the river is going to be out of control , only to then restore later to a normal peaceful river...

Debra, I realized after reading my post that maybe it sounded like I was trying to compare pancreatitis to brain surgery, I was not. I just know that sometimes it takes a bit for the body to accept a correction. My father has NPH, Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus. The ventricles stop working correctly, causing water build up. He has had three surgeries. Long and short is his third surgery (they replaced a shunt that had failed) was his most painful. They weren't sure why. But it just took a little longer for his body to adjust, and he ended up hospitalized longer than when they put in the first shunt.

I am praying that this new drug combo will help Gracie till her body adjusts to all the new stuff happening. Gracie is a fighter, and you are too! So you just be strong for Gracie. Believe that she will get better. See her with confidence that she is YOUNG and strong and will get through this. And you are STRONG too! Think only positive stuff okay? Hugs to you both. Gracie WILL get through this!

Blondiemaster aka lynn, dr. Brofman described it exactly like a dam and having all the water rush. So if it is causing the syrinx discomfort I hope it adjusts like a peaceful river. Think of all the csf built up had to make her feel bad and hopefully ease that pressure.

I know its hard to do, even though I'm amazed by your strength, its important for gracie to feel that. "A possitive mental attitude is better than any medicine". Thinking and praying for you, your hubby and gracie!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Back