• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ruby in real pain??

Karen and Ruby

Hi all

I will be calling the vet first thing anyway but Ruby is experiencing a lot of pain/discomfort in her back
Noticed earlier as i tried towel drying her after our wet walk and she yelped out. I thought I had caught her neck so I got the hair dryer out instead.
Then a few hours ago she walked up to me for a cuddle I stroked her gently down her back and she flinched and the back went down. Sign of pain I realise. I gave her some metacam and crated her for a nap to keep her still and rested.
Let her out just now for a toilet break and she doesnt want to walk about really and Im not sure but im pretty sure there is a lump where the pain is locallised on the spine.
It feels like there is a bump there and Im worried she has damaged her spine?
We had a good walk earlier but nothing more strenuous than usual and Ive been with her all day and she hasnt all of a sudden cried out as if something has suddenly gone wrong?
Any advice for a very worried Mummy?

Karen

Sounds like she has slipped disk. Good luck at the Vets :xfngr: it's nothing serious and he /she gives Ruby an injection for the pain. Sending :hug: to you both.

Well she was able to walk about this morning so had a feeling it was unlikely to be disc/spine related.
The vet thinks its muscle related -as all her muscles are twingeing/spasming when you touch her back and it feels hot to the touch which indicates that it is very inflammed- which would be good news so we have been sent home with more metacam and crate rest instructions.
She looks depressed bless her but is able to walk and sit/lye back down with out being in pain.
We will go back 1st thing monday morning and if no improvement will have an xray and maybe a scan if that shows nothing.
Just glad she was able to come home rather than be stuck over night again
Had to buy another crate as charlie has her old one but i got a big one so she doesnt feel to confined as she isnt used to being crated anymorexx

Karen

She seems ok at the minute- a bit bemused as to what she is doing in the crate.
shes giving me the look
'what in the world am i doing IN HERE!!!' 'when HE is OUT THERE!!!!'

Karen

I had this horrible sick feeling that either she had slipped a disc or that it may had been something to do with the SM

Last edited:
Karen - like you my first thought was that it was related to her SM and I'm so glad that doesn't seem to be the case. Metacam works great for Oliver who uses it periodically when he has back flare-ups. And I have had to put all of mine back in a crate for one reason or another and they've all done fine. You're right though, it's probably hard for Ruby to see Charlie out and about. Just take her out and give her extra snuggles. Hoping she continues to improve over the weekend.

Og Good, sorry I didn't see your reply, I am glad she is more comfortable, what a worry she is and all the problems you have with Charlie as well, I will keep miy fingers crossed for next week.

Well being the lovely mummy I am I went and got Ruby a big big crate so she doesnt feel sooo confined but loads of room to stretch out and for her water bowl as she drinks ALOT!
Theres £69 i wont see again but .... I was going to get a bigger one for the car anyway so they can travel together (rubes and chezza)!!
She doesnt seem to want to come out now- I opened the door 2 hours ago and she is still in there sparko!!!!
Bless her i think ive got the thumbs up! (its big enough for a labrador!)

Could this be what has caused her pain??

Hi all i have made some progress in to what could be causing Rubys problems.
I was stroking her today and there was a hard clump of hair exactly where the pain is locallised to.
Anyway I started to part the hair and it came out in a clump which I will admit hurt her but I left it at that gave her a bit of cheese for her worries and then tryed to see why.
There is a sore on her back and 2 very very small puncture holes about an inch apart.
Ive been racking my brain as to what it could be- there are no snakes round our way, the holes are too small to have been Chezza biting her and she has no ticks.
The only thing I can think of is that she has got caught by a thorn bush/bramble and it has punctured her skin?
Does anyone think this could cause her this much discomfort and pain and have inflammed her mucsles in this way, they have been in spasm a few times today.
Or should I be more worried that it could be something completely un related??
It seems like a massive co insisence if not

Karen

It has gone down but she is still uncomfortable to be touched there. When she twistes her body (Eg to clean herself below) her whole back starts to spasm which she is annoyed by immensely.
Its very strange xx

Can you take a photo of these puncture wounds? I'm wondering if it's two wasp stings or is it too late in the year for wasps?

I havent seen any around for a few weeks now- Im pretty sure it must be thorns as looking at them now there is one and a scratch and then another although on our walk she didnt react as though something had hurt her and she reacts alot with these things usually. When she gets the sticky balls stuck on her she stops dead in her tracks as if to say "MUM>>>HELPPPPPPPP!!"
and i have to go and get them off before we can continue and she is quite wimpy with pain so Im sure I would have known if she had stabbed her self on a large thorny bush!
Im bemused really...#

Should I put some Savlon on it as I dont have any arnica in the house at the mommet?

Last edited:
Back