• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Size concern

Kdemars

The other post about puppy size got me a little concerned but I didn't want to hijack the other thread.

I know Ella is small and was sick for a couple weeks where she didn't gain an oz. but she is almost 3 1/2 months and only at 5lbs. The vet seems to think that she is just fine (saw her today) and she still has somewhat of a "Buddha" belly but I'm a little concerned. The vet said she looks like an awkward 13 year old with these legs that are lanky and a little funny looking for her body.

I've heard you all say that size varies but she seems to be on the extreme small side.

Is this something I need to look into more? :?

A neighbour of mine had similar concerns aboutv her King Charles, especially as her last dog was the half brother of my Monty, ie a big boy. The vet suggested a special feeding regime , but it made no difference. Rupert, now two, is perfectly healthy, though small, even for a Charlie.

Cavaliers, like many other breeds, do grow in spurts, but only in one area, so you can have a dog with over long legs, the wrong sized head etc, but most things catch up eventually.

If it's any kind of a consolation, Kosmo was very very very small when I first got him. The vet said he was on the thin side, and he wasn't really gaining too much weight. When he hit about 3 months he started sprouting up and gaining 1/2 lb a week and it continued until he was around 8 months old. He's now around 12lbs and very healthy looking.

Good luck! :flwr:

Cupcake's growth rate sounds very similar to your little Ella's. When we first brought her home she was quite ill and didn't gain any weight (in fact she lost a few ounces). When we had her spayed at 8 months she only weighed 8-ish lbs and has since held steady at 10 lbs (she's a little over a year old now). She was the runt of her litter, which I'm sure is a large part of her slow growth and small size, but the vet says she is completely healthy.

As for the "buddah belly" I wish I had the picture here on my work computer, but at 4 months old Cupcake had the fluffiest little tummy. I swear she looked like an over-stuffed sausage, but as she aged the belly went away.

The point of all my rambling is unless you are noticing some sort of major health issue your little one is probably going to be a healthy and petite girl. :)

Back