• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New Puppy,Cyctitis Infection?

Noelle

Hi there,

I'm new to the site, my 16wk old puppy has a cyctitis infection,its very difficult to get him to drink water,he is on his second course of antibiotics.The vet doesnt seem worried about it,im just wondering if anyone has had this problem before?

Such infections are not uncommon but still not really what you should be seeing in a young puppy. That said, his breeder (assuming s/he is a reputable, IKC registered show breeder who health tests his/her breeding stock) will be your best source of support and advice over the life of your puppy, and should be able to answer any of your concerns directly and offer good advice.

The antibiotics should clear him up. If the vet isn't too concerned with how much he is drinking, things are probably fine -- puppies do not spend a lot of time drinking anyway but they do of course need liquids and constant access to water.

If you feel he isn't drinking enough try moistening his dry food with either a bit of water or a small amount of *sodium fee* chicken or beef stock -- be sure it doesn't have salt! Or try using a small amount of stock on its own. :)

Hi Karlin,

Thanks for the tip with the stock cubes,working a treat!!
I'm sill not too happy with his frequency of urine,slightly improved now every 2hrs(as opposed to 30mins).
My vet advised me to come back Monday if i'm still not satisfied with him and he will do further tests.Other than that he very playful & lively puppy but better safe than sorry.:paw:

Noelle

Back