• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Need help my puppy is not well

clark67

Hi my 11 week old puppy Harvey has had really nasty poo since this morning. It started off before breakfast really yellow and mucus looking. I gave him just boiled rice and chicken although I only had the wafer thin chicken which I use for packed lunches. He had rice for lunch and dinner (with the chicken) but has not got any better. It still seems very mushy/mucus looking, he has been wormed but it looked like it had white specks of what I can only describe as the same as frog spawn (sorry that sounds awful). It also has no smell what so ever.

I did contact the lady we got him from at lunchtime as it seemed to be slightly streaked with blood. He did have his anal glands drained on Saturday and she thought this might also be the problem unless he has eaten something from the garden.

He is still very lively, she suggested we give him Kaolin Junior which I have never heard of doing before and because she did not state how much I didn't do it. The vets not open till the morning.

Sorry this is so long but thought you might know.

I believe most people say to hold off on any food/treats for 12-24 hours after seeing an elimination like that.
After those hours Then you can feed the boiled chicken and rice, which would firm up the poo.
Id withhold food for the next 12 hours and then see where your at. Make sure the pup is drinking enough water, as you dont want them to dehydrate. A good way to check would be to see that his gums are still pink and lively looking.
Im sure others will be able to elaborate and add to this.

hi!

Sorry to hear Harvey is not too well, the Kaolin your breeder recommended is available from Boots and is a good way to settle the stomach, however if his stools have streaks of blood in them I would advise a visit to your vet in the morning as puppies can get dehydrated from tummy upsets very quickly indeed!

Hi!

I had this same problem when I brought my youngest home and believe me I was totally freaked out. I called the emergency vet and they said to remove food for 12 hours, make sure they drink enough water and monitor them closely for signs of lethary, change in mood or behavior and take him to the vet first thing.

When we did go to the vet, I told him that the sight of the blood in his poop totally unnerved me and I freaked. My vet is so sweet and he said while he was not trying to minimize my dogs situation, I did need to know that dog's can have blood in their poop when they have an upset tummy (from eating something in the house or garden). He said it happens more than we know. I was just comparing it to when humans have blood in their poop and he said that it is much different. Since their intestinal tracts are much smaller than humans, it is easy for dogs to upset something that might cause blood.

I used to rush to the vet every time I saw blood or loose poop, but know I give it at least 12-24 hours to see if it improves and it always does. And I usually find something in the house or yard that looks like it has been chewed recently. If not better in the morning do take him to the vet just to make sure.

I am sorry to hear that harvey is not well.

Don't use the processed chicken as it has preservatives, fat & all sorts of things in it that may continue to upset his tummy. "Chicken" means flesh only, no fat, no skin & boiled.

For these situations our vet advises, chicken broth, chicken boiled (as above) and boiled rice. Do not use canned or packet broth. Do it the real way with a real chicken & put it in a boiler & boil for a long time. Tastes good for humans too.

If it doesn't settle down in 24 hours, or if you dog starts to look unwell then you must take him to the vets. Watch out for dehydration. If he is not drinking then this requires urgent veterinary attention.

I had one that spent the night throwing up - after i got home from shopping, I had bought some of those horrible processed chicken-coated stix for my Sophie who occasionally likes one when I leave the house in the morning.

Well, I went into the bedroom to make an important phone call and thought Charlie (my foster boy) was playing with his new ball. Was i ever surprised when I came out and the plastic shopping bag was ripped and the plastic bag the stix were in was open and empty!! yup, Charlie ate all of them!!

Luckily, he drank tons of water this morning, so I didn't have to worry about dehydration. Little stinker!! Poor Sophie couldn't figure out why I was holding the empty bag and yelling, "bad dogs". (she's deaf too) She just wanted her chicken stix!!

Sheri

I wouldn't give processed chicken, as it has salt and other additives. it's a good idea to freeze a couple of fresh chicken breasts or buy frozen already, for such emergencies.

Hi thanks to everyone who replied to this thread. We took Harvey to the vet on Thursday morning as his poo was just a load of mucus. He didn't have any hight temperatur and he was still so lively. What we think might have caused it was on Tuesday morning when he got up he passed a plum stone (posted thread about this earlier) the vet thinks this upset his stomach lining. She put him on Hills prescription dietary food ID Canine. Also some antibiotis tablets and some pro-biotic powders. We took him back on Saturday for a check up and she has continued the food for another week. Thankfully his toilet now seems normal again and the best it's been since we got him.

Now his toilet is back to normal we can start some training with him. The first being that him seems to have started nipping the children whilst playing.

Back