• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Kyla's results

Nicki

Well Kyla's first blood test results came back today - they are negative for Cushings, but the lab still think that is the problem due to her history {repeated UTIs}. The vets are taking her in for the day tomorrow, to do some further investigations on her bladder, also a Low Dose Dexamethasone Suppression Test for Cushings.

I will keep you posted - thanks to those who have kindly PM'd, I will get back to you very shortly :D

Well at least thats something..fingers crossed she will get sorted and be ok.

That's a mixed bag of results which isn't very satisfying -- do the blood tests sometimes come up negative even when the dog has the condition? Can they treat for it so that she won't have the recurring UTIs? I know nothing about Cushings.

Oh Nicki I’m so sorry to hear that you are going through this. I pray that the test results remain negative.

I think it more you can get positive results back but that doesn’t mean your dog has Cushings. I went through this with my yorkie. They told me not to worry (yeah right) and to wait till her next test three months later.

I still remember sitting at my brothers wedding reception, making the phone call to see if my worst nightmare had come true. It had. :(

Cushings can in most dogs be controllable, its more about slowing it down, I know a dog near me that is cushing/diabetic for nearly 5 years now and only shows the sign of blindness from the diabetes.

Unfortunately my yorkie who was also Cushing/diabetic was not so lucky. She was very unstable and the drugs did'nt really help her. :(

This is a very good link for Cushing’s.
http://www.petdiabetes.org/cushings.htm

I will be thinking of you both today Nicki, you know where I am if you need to :blabla: don't you?? :hug: :hug: :flwr:

Thank you so much everyone - Kyla went in with her little sheepskin to cuddle up on - she wasn't very happy, so had to give her some rescue remedy. I can't pick her up until 5 pm, so it's a long day for her.

Karlin, yes the results can come back negative but they still have it - it's quite hard to diagnose.

Davy, thanks for the link and the information - I'm so sorry about your Yorkie, but it's good to hear that some dogs do manage well.

I did find a forum about it too http://www.caninecushings.net/forums/index.php but haven't had a chance to really look at it. DH is trying to stop me looking until we get a diagnosis so I don't frighten myself too much :(

Poor Kyla.. I'll think of her today.. And you must be very anxious for it to become 5pm as well I guess (I know I would be ;))

So good luck to both of you and hoping for good news!

Oh, Nicki, poor you and poor Kyla :(.

I hope they come up with some definitive news for you.

(( hugs ))

Will keep you and little Kyla in prayer that all ends well, and that whatever she is diagnosed with can be handled properly, bless her!

Glad to hear Kyla hasnt cushings. I hope they get her sorted out soon and the results are good news. Give her a hug from me.

Thanks everyone - Well some brilliant news from the vets - it's NOT Cushings!!! We are so relieved :biggrin:

The only thing is that we still don't know what's wrong :confused: obviously she isn't right, her liver enzymes are all over the place so the lab now think either something wrong with her liver and/or rumbling pancreatitis.

They are checking the bloods for the pancreatitis, and if that is clear, then we will have to do a liver bile test next week.

She really isn't feeling well, I know sometimes it's the Syringo but there is more going on than "just" that. The symptoms and history seemed to fit Cushings.

Oh I am so glad to hear it's NOT Cushings, I know you just want to get the mystery cleared up but at least you have a clear negative result on that!! :hug: :flwr: :hug:

Nicki,

Me and da boyz send you all big hugs and hope that Kyla feels much better soon and that the vets can figure out what the problem is quickly:paw:

That great news :rah:

I'm hearing of far too many dogs nowadays with Cushings.

Nicki said:
The only thing is that we still don't know what's wrong obviously she isn't right, her liver enzymes are all over the place so the lab now think either something wrong with her liver and/or rumbling pancreatitis.

I take it they ruled out diabetes before they tested for cushings?

Thanks everyone - yes they checked for diabetes so at least that's one more thing crossed off the list.

Poor Kyla had another seizure this am - the first since the end of November :( It lasted about 4 minutes. I suspect perhaps that whatever else is going on is causing additional stress on her body and that was why.

She's fine now - ate her breakfast with gusto and we will just keep a very close eye on her today.

Back