• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Increased BARKING

MomObvious

For some unknown reason Fletcher has become MR. BARKHEAD lately. He barks at the TV, people walking by our fence, randomly at night:mad: Tonight I checked out his ears really good (just looking) and they appear same as always. Nothing has changed in the house or with his routine. I'm wondering if I should rule out something medical with my regular vet? I have been working with him to re-direct (train) away from all the barking. I have NO problem with Fletcher barking while playing.

Just a reminder, Fletcher is a year and a half old. No medical issue thus far. I have NO medical history on his parents.

Guinness too, I have no idea what is setting him off. He used to just sleep like a rock, and now every little noise he goes nuts. Only at night though, rarely barks during the day.

Maybe he decided to step up his guard-dog duties after Mr. Monster belittled his skills?

Jazz woke me up at 5 am :yikes this morning barking at the bedroom curtains, which were blowing the in the wind....and if she wasn't barking she was giving a low growl.... In the end I threw her out of the bedroom so I could go back to sleep!!!

Jazz has developed a barking habit too, we cannot watch tv with any four legged animals, she just barks constantly. If neighbours are moving around the back garden she'll bark at them too. We do keep a water spray handy, sometimes just by showing it to her shuts her up, sometimes a quick squirt will stop her in her tracks!

sometimes I think she barks in the back garden just to announce her arrival!!!!

Maggie's barking was getting out of hand. Was getting texts from my mom after I dropped her off at grandpas(mom lives upstairs) that something had to be done. It was a bit much. I finally made a penny pop can. She'd start barking. I'd say no barking. If she continued I'd give it a shake. She very quickly caught on. Now almost silent at drop off. And most of her barking has stopped. I don't have to use it anymore. Some barking is ok. But the over the top. She has learned. And she gets my "no barking" command. The worst (in my opinion) is if we are laying in bed. She's snuggled up on my shoulder. And she starts barking at someone talking on the street. Right in my ear!!

We taught Rose "Do you need a TIMEOUT???". She's one that barks at everything with 4 legs on tv, cartoon, animal, person dressed up as an animal... Timeout is time by herself in the bathroom. She doesn't like that at all. We don't like her not minding when we tell her to hush. Works like a charm, lol.

Rosie has developed the exact same bad habit. The most annoying is when she bolts out of her bed in the middle of the night runs to the bedroom and barks her little head off. Not sure what she is barking at, maybe a leaf fell off the tree as she will bark at anything. Any tips would be appreciated.

Have we all seen Harry potter? Ok for those who have. Last movie there's a shot of voldemort as a.. I don't know fetus? I've seen it a few times. It's gross. But maggie goes ballistic at this part. Every time. Hahah

Bosco NEVER barks! He occassionally makes a low growl when excited with a toy, or will let out one loud bark if one of the Chins is making him crazy with teasing. I find it really ironic that my chins BARK and BARK and BARK, and they are supposed to be a non-barking breed. So, Bosco's silence is seen as one of his best qualities!

Teddy also seems to have found his voice recently. only in the house or in the garden though, never when we are out for walks. Oddly enough when he is home alone there is not a murmer (we have teddycam with audio) even when someone knocks on the door. We say Shhhh when he starts and try to attract his attention, but it doesnt always work. Like all the others, it could be a leaf dropping, and he just starts barking.

Remy will start barking when he see me put my phone in my purse. He doesn't want me to leave. He also barks when he sees me grab his harness for a walk. When watching TV, he will bark at elephants for some strange reason and the other day he barked at a panda bear. He will make growly noises when he is playing or fetching a toy and when I rub his belly or when trying to get my attention. He is a nut. I thought this breed was a quiet one, but I guess I got a very vocal one. He is 9 months so I don't know if this is a phase or not.

Teddy also does the growly thing when playing, and this happened about the same time as his barking started. Perhaps it is an age thing as he is nearly 9 months old. I hope he grows out of it eventually, we darent take him camping yet as it would annoy other campers from the word go.

I noticed that when Charlie turned about 21/2, he became more vocal. I always assumed that he was chasing away dinosaurs in the back woods that we couldn't see at night.

Maybe it's just part of them "growing up".

Ruby does it often, she will just randomly run into the garden and just start barking, she can.t hear, as she is very deaf, but sometimes if birds aeroplanes, or anything comes into her airspace, that will start her off, but i,am convinced sometimes she has moments when her hearing comes back briefly, last night was really funny, she was crouched low on the ground growling softly, and then started backing away slowly,when i looked outside it was a snail!!!!! Karen,Ruby and Sadie

Small update. Since I posted this I have been working with MR. BARKHEAD a.k.a Fletcher on excessive barking. I am happy to report training is going well and he pretty much has the "hush" command down. I think Fletcher is just one of those vocal dogs. Our house is not at all what I would call quite or calm so I think its something we will always have to manage. I have not been able to eliminate the night-time barking, I have NO way of preventing the behavior but at least a quick "Fletcher HUSH" I can roll over and go back to sleep.:?

Back