• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Poor Cooper's ordeal

Molly's mom

I took Cooper to the Vet's on 7/20 for his neutering and small hernia repair. He was also crypto orchid, but I was told this was all pretty common and the procedures would be routine.

I picked him up the next evening, and as soon as I got home I noticed discharge on my clothing but thought to myself "he just had surgery and he has 3 incisions". The next day I did call the vet's office as I was concerned with the discharge/swelling and last but not least the "odor". I took him in and he was started on a conservative course of antibiotics.

Well long story short, after several trips to the vet, 5 days after his neutering, he had surgery again. They cleaned out two of his three incisions, inserted drains and redid all of the sutures. Lab results were "heavy growth" of Staphylococcus and Klebsiella Oxytoca.

My poor baby then had to spend another week in diapers, with the cervical cone, and we had to flush his drains twice a day.

This all came to an additional $500 on top the neutering charges :eek:

Thank God he's made it through no worse for wear (not like his "parents")

The vet fully admitted that despite their best attempt at sterlizing, he probably contracted the infections at the hospital.

Has anyone else come home from the vets with more than they went in for? Just curious.

Last edited:
No advice to offer, but just wanted to say glad little Cooper is well and over his ordeal, what a terrible thing to happen.

Oh no!! What an ordeal....as if neutering wasn't bad enough. Poor little guy, hope he's feeling better soon.

So sorry you've had such a bad time - thank goodness Cooper is on the mend now.

I think your vets should perhaps come to some arrangement with you over the bill - it does sound like perhaps things weren't as sterile as they could be :mad: It might be worth pursuing...

Surgery for an undescended testicle is obviously more complicated than a straight forward neuter - probably more on a par with a bitch spay, but you wouldn't expect such severe infection with that either.

Back