• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Collar or Harness?

Reagan

Reagan has a collar and a Puppia harness. I am trying to decide which to mainly use, and just want some options on which you prefer and why.

Thanks! :)

Definitely a harness :D

We recommend the use of a harness particularly when using extending leads, as when using a collar, injury could occur if the dog is running at full speed and reaches the end of the length of the lead, causing a sudden jerk on the neck.

]Cavaliers do not have very muscular necks - they are also inclined to pull on the lead, as they are always excited to be going somewhere! Cavaliers are prone to health issues involving the neck area, it is therefore not advisable to attach a lead to a collar. A collar can be worn in addition to a harness or in the house [under supervision]. It is a legal requirement to have identification on the your dog when in a public place, this can be attached to the collar or harness.

Some Cavaliers do not like anything pulled over their heads, also it can be difficult with long, fluffy ears!! Step in harnesses work very well for Cavaliers, they have two clips to do up, one on the neck strap and one on the chest strap.

The gift shop http://cavalier-gift-shop.org/index.php will shortly be stocking the EZYDOG range of chest plate harnesses, they are highly recommended, they are easy to put on [step in design], and any pulling is directed onto the chest plate rather than straps [which may be uncomfortable and cause the coat to tangle behind the legs etc] These harnesses are also designed to safely secure the dog into the car with the use of the seatbelt attachement - included

Hi

All my four all wear a harness for attaching a lead to and to carry their ID but it is only on when we all go out ,they do not wear collars at all . Puppia we dont like as they have to be pulled over the head so they all have the step in type harness like Nicki describes.

Thanks so much everyone! We just got back from a 3 mile walk and he did so well in his harness. As for the step in harnesses, so far he doesn't mind the Puppia at all. He just sits there patiently waiting for me to put it on, but thanks for the step in recommendation incase this changes!! ;)

I use a collar when I am training because it makes me pay closer attention to my dog to make sure he doesn't pull on the leash. When we are going out for a walk and I think we may come up against a distraction that could cause some pulling they wear a harness. I don't allow them to pull but if I'm not attentive enough to the environment my dogs might see the distraction before I do and there might be some puling before I can get their attention back.

Very interesting, I wad wondering about this too. Is there such a thing as a puppy sized harness or do they adjust like collars?

Fudge has been using an EZYDOG harness similar to the one nicki mentioned except its the one click quick fit version for about a year now so i can confirm they are great quality and really hard wearing...more importantly fudge seems to love it compared to her old collar.

All four of mine wear the step-in harness by Up Country. It's easy to use, but they can still pull with it - a negative. I don't like harnesses that pull over the head since Riley has SM and has had decompression surgery and Oliver has had cervical disc decompression surgery so I don't want anything putting pressure on the head or neck area for either of them. Up Country has cool designs too.

I have the Sense-ible harness for Oliver and love it. He is a puller and this harness turns him around to face me if he pulls, which he doesn't want to do, so he stops pulling. It really works! I think I learned about this harness several years ago from CT!

http://www.softouchconcepts.com/product/sense-ible-harness

Scarlett, my girl with SM, can tolerate a wide, loose collar but absolutely cannot tolerate a harness touching her chest for some reason. She starts bunny-hopping and scratching like crazy if anything touches her chest.

I also use a harness for walking, but when training attach the lead to the collar. I found with Bonnie who had SM she also was unable to tolerate the harness her scratching intensified and she also bunnyhopped. So I just used the collar when needed but very rarely with her as she never strayed further than a few meters from me.

For my new cav I have been using the Puppia since he was about 8 weeks old, so he doesn't mind that it gets pulled over his head.
I do love the puppia harnesses, but the EZYDOG branded harness is EXTREMELY hard wearing!

My previous cavalier, i used the ezydog harness for 6 and a half years. It shows NO sign of wear and tear what-so-ever. Just chuck it in the washing machine if it gets dirty and it comes out looking brand new!

And i will most likely get another one of them once he is fully grown because of that fact and i have heard about the buckles on the puppia breaking after a bit, so i just feel safer with one that i KNOW has lasted 6.5 years...

I use a collar inside the house at all times with his council registration tag and my contact details etc attached to it, becuase i only use the harness for walking. I occassionally take off the collar when using the harness, but usually i forget :)

Back