• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rehomed Boy won't stop trying to "hump" Molly....Advice needed for a friend please!!

Teresa

Rehomed Boy won't stop trying to "hump" Molly....Advice needed for a friend please!!

A friend of mine on facebook has rehomed an unwanted Cavalier...a beautiful tri boy... He looks to be between two and three and is castrated. Her existing Cavalier Molly is 15 months (Spayed). since they brought the newbie home he has been trying to hump molly (Sorry there is no other word I can use to describe it from what she says.) She had little info on the chap. She brought him home yesterday and he had to go to the groomers today as he was really matted and the humping has got worse since then.
A behaviourist has recommended a water spray and a sharp "leave it" and this seems to be helping a little. Molly is laying down or trying to hide but not told the little boy off...
My friend is really needing some advice on what to do about this....I said it may be stress related...lots of new experiences.. She thinks maybe a dominance thing... Apart from this he is utterly adorable...
Ideas and comments gratefully received!!!! Many thanks :))

Ultimately it is gonna be up to Molly to put him in his place. Pack order issues are best left to the dogs to work out, unless it looks like there's gonna be bloodshed.

Pretty much what I thought...molly needs to tell him where to go!! Apparently it was worse after the groomers....Hopefully when he settles in it will ease a bit too.....

Ha, funny I just replied to the Dominance thread where a member is having a similar issue. I agree that Molly will have to sort him out, she'll eventually get the gumption to tell him off in a doggy polite way. The suggestion of the trainer will help as well. Good Luck and let us know how things are down the line.

Apparently it was worse after the groomers
Clancy always shags his stuffed pig a lot more right after the groomer, too.

I think there's something about having that brazillian (my groomer shaves the hair off his penis) that does it. :eek:

Last edited:
Thanks Desrae I will pass on these comments :)) I also said it's been a big couple of days for him....Poor little man

I have had this a couple of times with rehomed boys and it sorted itself out after a few days.
Ruth

I wish it would sort itself out here!! Micah is now 18 months old...and still humps Shelby :eek: I've waited for her to tell him off, and she sometimes does. I know when it's going to happen....when he gets excited about anything...the doorbell rings, there's a dog on the tv, etc. He was neutered at 7 months. I don't scold him though. I tell him "no Micah" and redirect him. I figured Shelby would sort him out (she would never put up with this from another dog!!!) but so far it's been up to us. It was particularly lovely when we were being interviewed for our local news station when we were doing a dog event.....and I realized that Micah was going to town on Shelby....luckily it wasn't caught on film :sl*p:

It was particularly lovely when we were being interviewed for our local news station when we were doing a dog event.....and I realized that Micah was going to town on Shelby....luckily it wasn't caught on film :sl*p:

Oh dear, that would have made the pet bloopers reel at Petco Park.....:shock:

J.

If humping is already an enjoyable habit, neutering frankly won't make any difference. But it is possible to train them to stop if they start, or warn them off starting in situations when they are likely to try it. Personally, I think it doesn't have all that much to do with dominance - dogs just enjoy it!

Kate, Oliver the Humper and Aled the Humpee

It was particularly lovely when we were being interviewed for our local news station when we were doing a dog event.....and I realized that Micah was going to town on Shelby....luckily it wasn't caught on film :sl*p:
HAHAHA!!! I would have been so embarrassed.

Sorry Cathy I actually chuckled out loud at that!! How embarrassing??? lol
Thanks everyone for your replys and yes I guess it is natural behaviour....I'm going to send my facebook friend the link to this so she can see your replies... :)

Back