• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Blackberries!

Kizzys Mum

Our dogs have always liked pieces of fruit and veg for treats, but our schnauzer took it to another level by picking her own blackberries! She has now taught Kizzy to do this and they will lag behind on a walk trying to empty the bushes we go past!:rolleyes:
Do any other cavs display any foraging or hunter/gatherer instincts?!

When Easter (the Diva) was quite a young dog in Plymouth, I used to take her Blackberry picking every autumn and after tasting the fruit for the first time she always expected me to pick some off for her.

One particular very hot day Easter decided on a bit of self service, so into the dense undergrowth she went. She came out to see me a couple of times, with a spreading purplish stained muzzle to confirm she had taken the plumpest fruit off to eat.

Suddenly there was a thrashing about in the brambles, accmpanied by ever ascending shrieks of terror coming from deep inside the thicket. There was nothing else for it, so in I went, saw a hip, grabbed hold of it and pulled it gently but firmly towards the path. I must have screamed myself when I saw her face, as it was covered in brambles, as were my arms and legs

I pulled out as many thorns as I thought were safe to touch, but there were just as many poking out of the area around her eyes, so I rushed her straight into the vet's, ringing on the way for them to expect us.

The waiting room was full. People were looking at Easter, so I told them what she had done. Ripples of laughter ran round and round the room. Then the receptionist arrived at her desk, took one look and ...... laughed her socks off. We went into the consulting room where we saw Easter's regular attendant vet. He had a quick look, as did the nurse. They looked at me, then at each other, and they too burst out laughing. Easter was hopping mad by then, glaring with indignation at all of us.

The vet carefully took the thorns out, explaining that his initial inspection had been confirmed in that no serious damage had been caused. I was advised to bathe the sore area in saline a few times and that was that as they say, except to say that for the rest of the time we lived in Plymouth, never, ever, would the otherwise tough as old boots girl Easter ever walk in that place again or touch one single Blackberry.

Sandra,
Do you still have the video of her picking the blackberries?
That was memorable!! I was holding my sides laughing...talk about ruthless efficiency.
Sins

Spangle loves blackberries, almost as much as she loves strawberries, but it`s those stolen ones she loves the best!!!!!!!

The year I got sugar snap peas to grow I used to pull them off the vine for Chelsea. Later one day I look out and realized that she was helping herself to some more. I think I had a picture, but it was funny watching her tug them off the vine.

No luck in the last couple of years getting them to grow. Will try agin this fall.

Sandra,
Do you still have the video of her picking the blackberries?
That was memorable!! I was holding my sides laughing...talk about ruthless efficiency.
Sins

Gosh that certainly made an impression then, that was last year I posted that!
I do still have the video - she is being even more ruthless this year - leaving the small ones and only going for the large juicy ones. :rotfl:

blackberry picking

Hello,
just a small word of warning, my beloved Whisper loved blackberry picking/eating, but she did get pricked in the eye, and it caused her to have an ulcer on her eye, which needed quite a bit of treatment and left a scar on her eyeball forever.
My retriever loves them too, but I'm nervous about letting her do it as a result of Whispers misfortune.

Back