• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bones with Marrow?

RockNRollCav

Hi All,

Corgan is in need of a new chew toy. Today we bought him a steralized bone from the local petstore (not a national chain one - a really good one that only sells holistic foods, etc).

Anyway, everyone always recommends getting an uncooked bone, marrow in, for your dog. Where on earth do I find one of these? And which bone, specifically do I ask for (or does it matter)? And I'm assuming it's a beef bone, but if that's wrong, please correct me.

Thanks!!

Ask your butcher if he'll let you have the middle piece of a shin bone. Plenty of marrow and if you're lucky (or rather Corgan is lucky ;)) he'll leave a bit of meat on the outside too.

When you get home just wash the bone in cold running water and let him go!!!!

Having been warned off hide chews, when Izzy was young, I asked our vet's receptionist what to give him and she told me one of those sterilized bones, soI bought one for him and one for Monty, but threw both away when I noticed that Monty's was splintering.

Several weeks later, I looked in Izzy's mouth and noticed brown stains on his canines, so resolved to clean them the next morning.

To my horror, I found that the 'stains' were in fact dentine . The enamel was sheared away from the inside surfaces. He has never been a picker up os stones or chewer of rubbish, so I could only conclude that the bone was to blame and have never offered one since.

Have you ever tried Antlerz dog chews? I just got one for Gus and he loves it. They don't splinter and they last for a couple months.

Back