• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

EVO 95% meat cans

Kingofthehouse86

Has any1 tried the new 95% meat canned foods from Innova:EVO??? I just got the 95% chicken/turkey yesterday and King loves it... I'm gonna try the other ones soon..but wanted to kno if any1 else has tried them?? but mayb not the rabbit..don't kno if I want my King eatin rabbit.... I kinda feel bad cuz i work wit rabbits and then to kno that my baby is eatin their relatives.. :(

I tried the Evo 95% beef, and they love it. I cannot figure out the right amount to feed them, though, and there is no calorie count on the can. I don't know what amount equals 1/3 cup of Evo kibble. My dogs are all at their correct weights, so I'm concerned about both underfeeding and overfeeding. So I have them all back on kibble for now, but I do need to give India the 95% beef if her urine pH goes up.

I often wonder if dogs experience cholesterol problems like humans do from eating red meat. I always avoid eating red meat and high cholesterol foods, and now having 2 dogs with low grade heart murmurs I want to do what I can to keep them healthy.

I buy my dog food from the dog training place I belong to. He carries the beef, and may be adding chicken or turkey.

If you find anything out about calories in 95% meat Evo, please let me know!

Aaron, I feel the same about rabbit cat or dog food and will never buy it. My hubby thinks I am mad but if he ever gets a rabbit given to him, all ready skinned for the pot I won't cook it and own't let him use any of the regular pans for it either :yikes

I think it's because until a couple of years ago I always had at least one rabbit as a pet and could never, ever envisage eating them. Hubs can't understand how I can eat other animals without flinching, especially when I spent most of my younger life living on a farm. He can't comprehend that farm animals are different and are livestock and not pets :roll:

And yes, before you ask. If I was hungry enough, I could kill a cow :roll: icon_whistling

Donna ur to funny!!! :lol: but I understand where ur coming from, cuz i had rabbits when i was younger and could never understand how ppl could eat such cute lil balls a fur...

Cathy its funny you asked if I find out the calories in the cans cuz i actually did a lil research on them b4 i tried one:
BEEF: (36.3kcal/oz) (1281kcal/kg) (479kcal/13.2oz can) (200kcal/5.5oz can)
CHKN/TURKEY: (37.4kcal/oz) (1317kcal/kg) (493kcal/13.2oz can) (206kcal/5.5oz can)
DUCK: (39.2kcal/oz) (1381kcal/kg) (517kcal/13.2oz can) (216kcal/5.5oz can)
VENSION: (43kcal/oz) (1517kcal/kg) (568kcal/13.2oz can) (237kcal/5.5 oz can)
(and if u wanted to know)
RABBIT: (37kcal/oz) (1308kcal/kg) (489kcal/13.2oz can) (204kcal/5.5oz can)
Also if u wanted to know the org. EVO here it is too:
EVO: (39.45kcal/oz) (1390kcal/kg) (520kcal/13.2oz can) (217kcal/5.5oz can)

plus if u wanna look up anything further here's the sitehttp://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=home-tab

Aaron,
Hey thanks for the information! I think I'm going to switch them to one meal a day canned and one of kibble.

Everyone,
I am looking for something to protect their ears from getting into the canned food. I use the small metal food bowls, but they still get food on their ears. Also, I tried buying snoods, but the snoods are too big and move forward on their faces. What are other members using?

Thanks!

Cathy I have a stainless steel "long-ear" double diner for King. The bowls are bout 4" inches deep and kinda narrow so the dogs dogs can fit in..but their ears hang over the sides staying out of the food...Here's where I got him from... http://www.jbpet.com/Shopping/produ...t_id=153-0110&category_name=BowlsDoubleDiners the diner is $13.99 but it's worth every penny... so ur not cleaning food out of their ears after every meal... :lol: and it must take u 3X longer cuz of 3 cavaliers

One meal of canned/kibble/NBL/fruit or veggies mixed a day is all King eats..He kinda put himself on only 1 meal a day...as a pup he ate 2 meals but when he reached bout 1yr he would only eat a night...or if he ate in the morning he wouldn't eat at night... Oh and if u wanna kno wat fruit King loves is dried cranberries...he loves them, I only put bout mayb 5 in his bowl and BOOM he's done in like 3mins.. :lol:

I use headbands that are kind of like scrunchies but bigger than scrunchies and smaller than some headbands are normally. They are soft and stretch out comfortably whereas a lot of scrunchies are too tight. They've worked pretty well.

Boy I wish we got some of these good canned foods etc here. It would be nice to have some on reserve now and then just for a change of meal. (for the dogs not me).

I give the cats the 'rabbit' Whiskas canned food mainly because it comes in the packs of six that I buy. But I too can;t bring myself to eat rabbit! I also can't eat ray or skate because I love that whole family of creatures -- they can almost be like cats and come up for a scratch at the Monterey Bay Aquarium! I also really like octopus and always feel bad eating it. Squid I have no emotional ties to... :lol:

Karlin said:
Boy I wish we got some of these good canned foods etc here. It would be nice to have some on reserve now and then just for a change of meal. (for the dogs not me).

:lol: it looks and smells good enough to eat :lol:

Thanks for the info about scrunchies and bowls!

Cathy Moon said:
...I often wonder if dogs experience cholesterol problems like humans do from eating red meat. I always avoid eating red meat and high cholesterol foods, and now having 2 dogs with low grade heart murmurs I want to do what I can to keep them healthy.
...!

Cathy, i've wondered about this too.
Apparently it's not the red meat per se that becomes a problem as far as high cholesterol-related atherosclerosis goes, but a combination of things in the diets of cultures that have epidemics of this condition and heart disease generally.

There are cultures, traditional cultures, rural cultures, where red meat is a staple of their diet yet they don't suffer from heart disease and live to very old ages (for example in rural former Soviet Georgia)(i saw a segment on 60 Minutes).

Apparently in the modern diet, problems such as heart disease and cancer and many others, "diseases of civilization," are not simply the fault of red meat but of high carbohydrate diets and the effect on things like insulin and sugar homeostasis, as well as effects of various chemical additives and waste products of modern technology, mass production of fool in particular.

I believe in Eskimo culture, they eat nothing but red meat, polar bear, and have no development of heart disease or its precursors. Their diet is high fat as well, it's not just lean red meat that they eat. They eat every part of the prey because food is scarce. Of course they don't have long life expectancy due to other causes of death, but despite eating only red meat high in cholesterol, they don't have even the early signs of heart disease or cancer at the time of death.

But if you take Eskimos and move them into modern urban environments and they change their diets, and become more sedentary, they do develop these diseases of civilization, such as cancer, diabetes, autoimmune disorders, heart disease etc (all of these are now believed to have a common pathology, chronic inflammation, which is in turn related to immune system functioning).

the current interest in low carbohydrate diets in modern culture comes in part from cross cultural research into these health variables.

So i'm guessing that something similar might be involved for dogs--they may be able to eat high cholesterol foods without cardiovascular damage because, particularly in the wild, they don't eat carbohydrates or foods with additives, preservatives, fillers, etc, and/or, they get adequate exercise. I'm thinking a domestic dog fed high protein food and exercised adequately would not have any diet related cardiovascular damage. I would like to hear what the facts are on this subject.

Back