• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Horrible bout of gastroenteritis

Love my Cavaliers

Oz, my youngest who has IBD, has been struck by the nastiest bout of gastroenteritis. It started on Sunday with anorexia, extreme lethargy and vomiting all day long. Off to visit the emergency vets who gave him some subq fluids, anti-nausea meds and sent him home. Blood work was all fine. Monday - still no eating anything and the lethargy continued so off to our regular vet who took an x-ray which showed some inflammation of the intestinal walls, but no obstruction of any kind. Some more subq fluids and some metronidazole. Tuesday, still no eating and just so lethargic, so off to his internist for an ultrasound. He had lost one pound by this time! And he's a skinny boy to begin with. Ultrasound showed thickening of the intestinal walls consistent with IBD, so his internist was thinking either an extreme flare-up of IBD or basically a bad stomach bug. He was kept in the ICU overnight on IV fluids and antibiotics.

They finally tried to feed him today around noon and he was so hungry he tried to eat their fingers! So far he has kept down two meals. If he keeps down breakfast tomorrow, I can bring him home!!!!

Since he's had no vomiting since eating, the prevailing thought now is that he had a really bad bout of gastroenteritis. Where he got it, I have no idea. I had no idea either that dogs could get what is basically a really bad stomach flu. I'm just so thankful that that seems to be all it is. Hopefully all goes well tonight and he can come home tomorrow. Even though I have three other cavaliers, he is my little pistol and the house is quiet and lonely without him.

I'm so sorry this has happened to Oz. Poor little soul must have been so miserable and I'm sure he missed you just as much as you missed him. Fingers crossed that he comes home tomorrow.

You were very, very lucky, Bev, because some forms of gastroenteritis (haemorrhagic in particular) can be killers - I lost my first Cavalier from it at four-and-a-half. Some varieties can be caused by a bug, but also by picking up and eating rotten food - easily and quickly done when running around off-lead. Until you have a dog you don't realise how much food people throw on the ground instead of in the waste bin!

Hope Oz continues to recover well,

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Guinness pulled the haemorrhagic gastroenteritis routine on me. He had blood coming out both ends, in various shades of red, brown and black...liquid, dry. We had it all. But a trip tothe emergency vet fixed him right up, thankfully.

Oz is back home after 2 nights in the ICU. He's pretty much back to normal - eating and pooping like a champ. Still acting a little tired, but then again, the little guy lost more than a pound. His weight went from 14 pounds to just under 13 pounds (and at 14 pounds he was skinny). I hope we never go through this again!

So glad Oz is home and doing well. You must be hugging and kissing him till he begs you to stop! Here's a hug from me and BellaMia. :hug:

Back