• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What was your other choice of breed you considered?

zenkar

I really wanted an English Bulldog but my wife didnt like them at all! She said they were ugly and yada yda... we both agreed on a Cavaleir since my brother had one and we loved him alot... maybe one day I will get one :)

We had to be very careful choosing a dog.My son was terrified of dogs and even the prospect of walking past a dog was awful for him.
We considered a boxer as a good looking boxer is a fabulous dog, we also considered a labradoodle because it's non shedding and I'm asthmatic.But all the talk of "designer" dogs put me off...
A labrador would be unsuitable due to it's size and would most likely get me in trouble with my neighbours.
We researched a small indoor type dog with friendly temperament and that a small child would find non threatening and decided on a cavalier.
The moment I saw Daisy I knew that she was "the one".
Sins

I like the look of the long haired Dachshund but my vet advised me otherwise because of their back problems. Isn't she beautiful!
2410796990_35fb8edc86_o.jpg

I have always had other people's dogs land my way so it was a long time before the opportunity came to choose a puppy by breed. I had always admired everything about the spaniel temperament after growing up with a cocker mix. I looked at the Cocker breed, but that coat is now so exaggerated I wouldn't want to live with it. I liked the Cavaliers better, but again I favor a more sparsely coated Cavalier (don't really like long coats here). The Tibetan Spaniel also sits very high on my list, almost equal to a Cavalier Spaniel. That is probably why I couldn't resist my mix when I found her. I am now sure I will always live with either one breed or the other the rest of my life. (I've been spoiled).

Arlene and her three.

I love 2 or 3 of the larger breeds, and when we were thinking of a 2nd dog we considered a few.......German Shepard, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Bull Mastiff, and the Staffie....a breed I absolutely adore, a neighbour of ours had 2, and they were 2 of the most wonderful dogs I've ever met.....it really upsets me to see how this breed is being ruined by the wrong kinds of people having them........has anyone seen the article in this months Dogs Today about the state of the breed? It's heart breaking.

But after meeting a Cavalier in town 1 day, we both fell in love with them, and the decision was made,

And now that we have them, we'l always have a couple of Cavs running about the house:D

And as long as I'm allowed:eek:.......1 big doggie too :D

We were considering 1) Papillon 2) Tibetan Spaniel 3) Cavalier. After doing loads of research, we decided on a Cavalier. And then two Cavaliers. And someday three Cavaliers! :)

Our choices came down to three breeds which were Cavaliers,Beagles,and Golden retrievers.
I chose cavaliers because I feel in love with one i meet while on a shopping trip:D

No other breed was considereed when i got Monty, my first cavalier , as I wanted a smaller, calmer version of the springers I'd owned before (got the second ). I am considering a (phalene, probably ) papillon in future.

I adore the Golden Retrievers but do not have the space. I would never have one "in place" of my Cavis only in addition to!:)

Hmm I came into Cavaliers through my sister, the first family dog was a Cavalier who was bought for her (I was HEAVILY into horses at the time).

But I also adore Miniature Schnauzers (Too much hand stripping!) and my OH if he had his way would have a Siberian Husky any day of the week!!

We have had two yellow labs, a german shepherd, and an australian shepherd mix in our marriage of 32 years. When the kids moved out, we expanded our home, remodeled the kitchen and installed lovely hardwood floors, so the thought of another very active large dog in the house was out. I looked to the smaller breeds and was oriiginally hoping for a non or low shedding dog, but all of the ones I researched seem to be snippy yappy types. :rolleyes: (I apologise to those of you who adore your toy poodles and bijan frises.) I was leaning toward the Havanese when I met my first Cavalier. This breed just melted my heart and nothing else would do. I am now happy to brush her, comb her, sweep up fur bunnies out from under the table and "sticky-roller" dog fluff off of my clothing, just to have her a part of my life.

Oh, and my sister has a lovely Australian Terrier who is extremely Cavalierish and has no idea he is a Terrier. We kept him for a week when she went out of town and he and Dottie are totally bonded. They are quite rare in the states, but I would take him on in a minute.

When I was looking at changing to a smaller breed, the short list was:
Pug
West Highland Terrier
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

I read and learned about each breed and determined that the Cavalier was the best one for my life style and my requirements in a dog. I have never regreted my choice. I still love to see pugs and westies though.

I did dream og a Griffon/ Petit brabancon when we started looking,but when I actually got to meet a few I thought they were a bit too energetic for my household with three kids .
I also had a crush on miniature Schnauzer(still have) Same story; a bit too highstrung and alert.
The Cavalier came in second/third but ended upp being the perfect dog for me.(first I thought they were too cute for me,not TUFF enough ...can you believe that´?:eek: I´m such a nutter!)

Theese days Im dreaming of wholecoulored Charlies.....Some day maybe?:luv:

I had Westies previously but never again!! So different in temparement from a Cavalier

I did consider Miniature Schnauzers - too much work on the coat, too like a hound - not terribly trainable! Also Petit Bassett Griffon Vendeen - but again a hound breed.

I saw Cavaliers on Animal Country, a television program with Desmond Morris and fell in love with them - I did a lot of research and learnt they were perfect for us.

If I could live with a bigger dog, I love Newfoundlands and Flat Coated Retrievers. Smaller breeds I'm keen on are the Tibetan Spaniels - long lived, healthy but can be yappy; and Havanese - don't know so much about them though.

I like the Pyrenean Sheepdog but they are too busy for me

Last edited:
My first love has always been the cavalier but cocker spaniels were my next love, hence Doogle. He isnt quite a pedigree as his mother was Enlgish cocker and his father was my third love the American cocker. I do like Miniature Schnauzers and shitz-suz (sp?). I dont think you can match the temprement of the cavalier.:)

I personally don't feel that Cavaliers should be classed as a toy breed - they would fit better into the Utility group. They are still able - and many do - a job of work, even working to the gun in some cases, but many lead active busy lives helping disabled people, others are doing agility, therapy work etc.

Others are just the most wonderful companions you could ever have the pleasure of living with :)

I love all kinds of dogs but living in the city, with a small-ish yard, we had to be practical.

My Hubby said it should be a Cavalier Spaniel.

I'll never know if he thought I'd never find one in Toronto....;) or not.

Our beloved Charley was with us for over 14 yrs and we now are owned by two "girls", Mary Alice and Rosie!

I cannot imagine life without at least one Cavalier Spaniel. :luv: :lotsaluv:

Back