• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hello

*Pauline*

Hello! My name is Pauline AKA Polly. I am new to Cavalier Talk. I will be getting my puppy in about 3 months, mum due any day. I can't wait. This site is great. I look forward to taking part. cavtiny

icon_welcome and we'll all be looking forward to the puppy pictures! :snap:

Do you have a preference for sex or colour or are you waiting to see what comes up in the litter?

puppy

Thanks for your replies. I'm waiting on a blenheim girl puppy. The breeder has two mums due and another just pregnant. She said I can pick from all three litters foy my girl. She doesn't show anymore so I'm guessing that will give me more choice too as she won't be having her pick first, we'll see. My only choice now is if she should be spayed or not. A couple of breeders told me not to as the bitch will get a woolie coat and put on weight. The weight gain being an added problem if a heart problem arrises. What do you think? I'd always heard that to spaye just before the first season meant the bitch was 7 times less likely to develope mammary cancer. Anyone got pics of this so called woolie coat? How bad can it be?! Thanks. cavtiny

Well, weight is entirely due to the fact that a neutered anumal just needs to be fed aboyt 10-15% fewer calories! Their metabolism sometimes slows. So just feed a bit less and you will have no issues with weight gain. Wooly coat (or cotton coat) is FAR MORE an issue of 1) overweight dogs and 2) genetics. I hjave two nuetered males with perfectly silky coats that I keep lean by watching their diet and plenty of exercise -- a good combination for any dog regardless of whether it is neutered or spayed. :)

You are right about the health issues. An unspayed bitch is at regular risk of pyometra, a womb infection that only occurs in unspayed females. The same for ovarian cancer and tumours. Also you need to keep her in for 3-4 weeks twice a year -- TOTALLY inside -- when she's in heat, during which time she will spot blood. And a pregnancy always carries its own risks, with mixed breed puppies very hard to home if that's the result of an unwanted/unexpected breeding. Also there's been a serious rise in incidence of stolen dogs in the UK and Ireland with people who take them selling them on for breeding, often into hellish 'puppy farms'. Cavaliers are frequent targets -- this is considered one of the fastest rising crimes in the UK and has been featured in several stories recently in the UK.

Talk to Dog's Trust -- they can give you the facts on spay/neuter.

I also strongly recommend this article:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_the_canine_spay.html

I spay/neuter all my dogs and have tags that indicate they are neutered on their collars to discourage anyone trying to steal and keep them.

On this issue, here's what Dog's Trust advises, from their website:

I am not sure why UK breeders are so prone to discouraging pet owners from neutering when thousands of unwanted dogs, including cavaliers and mixes, are put down annually in the UK -- and there are so many health benefits to neutering. In most countries pets are always sold on restricted ownership clauses which REQUIRE neutering so that the dog is not bred. This isn;t a criticism of the many great UK breeders so much as it is meant to indicate many excellent breeders around the world are very strong advocates of the many benefits of neutering and even require it. :)

Personally -- from a long while now working in dog and cat rescue -- I think the average pet owner finds managing intact males or female cats or dogs simply too much extra work with some unwanted side affects (the blood spotting, marking, humping behaviour, bitches in heat attracting in every wandering male dog for streets around for weeks on end).

Many vets strongly advise spaying females due to the risk of death and high cost of emergency treatment from pyometra alone. Also, even if the coat does coarsen slightly, this seems a very minor cosmetic negative set against many, many positives. (y)

Thanks so much Karlin for your advice. I knew I would spay my dog but I was hoping she wouldn't get the cotton coat. You are right though, it's so not as important as a healthy dog. cavtiny

Welcome Polly. This is the perfect place to learn and prepare for your new puppy. You must be so excited. I have 5 little cavaliers and know that I will always have one in my life. I have had several other breeds of dogs and this is the only one that I know for sure I can not live without!

Welcome Polly. How exciting for you. Oh the anticipation! My Shelby was spayed at 6 months and definitely does not have a wooly coat. She is a touch overweight but that's an issue for me not her spaying.

Hi Pauline, welcome to another UK member, we are based in Surrey (near Wimbledon) - you will find this site so helpful whatever questions you have....... all my boys except for one have been done and none of them have put any weight on, as the rest say it is about good feeding and exercising at the end of the day.

I think I mentioned in another section that the puppy I was waiting for was still born. The next two girls turned out not to be pregnant and I am still waiting. I hate waiting but I think it will be worth it as the girl mated this time is a beauty. I forgot to ask for a due date, silly me. I will keep you posted. icon_whistling

Hi Polly,

Sorry I missed this thread before. welcome to the site and hope it won't be long before you get your new baby cavtiny

Back