• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My 8 month old puppy

I have a cavalier puppy called Belle, she went to the vets yesterday as having her first season and is experiencing problems i.e. very swollen vulva, but she also yelps when going to for a wee, and is now refusing to go. Last time was 7am this morning it is now 4. The vet has given us a course of 6 days of anti-inflamitrys but obviously we are concerned about her. Have just spoken to the vets again and they said she will go when she needs to, is this right and has any one else experienced this. Needless to say we have booked her in for a spay in June. Thank you

Firstly it's sensible to have her spayed ideally between 1st and 2nd season so you have done the right thing booking her in.

The vuvla does get really swollen during a season, looks a bit like a baboon! It will shrink back after the season but will not return to the size it was when she was a puppy as she has matured.

I've not come across them yelping from this before, I'm wondering if she has something like vaginitis going on too?

That does sound like a long time for a puppy to hold urine, is she eating and drinking normally? If you are still concerned in the morning I would speak to the vet again.

Hope Belle is doing better
I've never heard of this kind of problem relating to an in season bitch .I presume they did a urine test ?sounds more like a bladder infection to me and if so she needs antibiotics .If she were mine I'd be asking the vet to check her urine it's quite simple to do just really surprised he hasn't explored that route .

I too was wondering if it's a UTI. So easy for bacteria to enter, and especially with her licking desperately during her heat.

I'd call the aver and schedule another look. The crying out isn't a normal thing during her heat.

Back