• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I don't want to leave her there *sniff*

Chelle

Bella is going in tomorrow morning to be spayed. They want to keep her overnight, and we can pick her up on Thursday. Not sure why that is, I can't recall my other animals having over-nighters with spays/neuters. She's having a couple of tooth extractions.. not sure if that has anything to do with it. I've opted for the IV fluids, but I can't imagine she'll be on an IV for the whole night. She's also getting microchipped and 1 dewclaw removal that the breeder missed.. but that's all minor stuff.

I feel horrible. Her food is put away (been fasting since 8pm), her bag is packed, her carrier with her favourite toy and blankie packed.. and she even got a bath tonight. She's good to go, and she has no idea. She's going to feel soooo abandoned and scared, especially during tomorrow night when she'd otherwise be snuggled between dh and I in bed :(

I know I'm going to cry when I leave the vet's office tomorrow morning, and that's SO silly. I can do this! I've done this before! I've had all my pets spayed/neutered, it's not a big deal! What is this power these Cavs have over us, with their soulful eyes and deep attachment issues, lol.

I'm really not happy about having to leave her overnight. They close shop at 9pm and there's nobody in there all night anyway (I think the earliest person in is 6am). I just don't see the advantage of having her stay there. I'm going to see if they'll let me get her tomorrow night...

Ok, now that I've talked myself through this :lol: time for some sleep!

If you got this far, thanks for letting me ramble icon_blshing

I understand. Maddy is due to be spayed March 1st and I know I will feel exactly the same way if we have to leave her overnight.
Pam

I empathize with you. I am always in tears whenever I have to leave them at the vets even if it is just for grooming.

I think you will be far more upset than your dog. For most of the time she will be sdated and the rest will be fascinated by all the goings on. I used to worry about leaving clingy Izzy, but he has never appeared to be upset. No rush to come to me, as thee are lots of interesting things to sniff and watch.

With todays newer and better gases-- I really don't know why they'd prefer to keep them that long. Especially overnight if NO ONE will be there.
My girl was just c-sectioned and SPAY (in November- a big stressful surgery)-- she was home three and a half hours later. She was 90%+ up and normal by the time she was home. She went in weighing over 21 pounds and came home weighing 15-16.

Well, she's dropped off. The way she looked at me when they carried her off down the hall :cry*ing:

I can't believe I'm being such a weenie about this :roll:

I told them I had some issues with her staying over night, especially when there isn't anyone there. She said they like to keep them over just to keep them from running around and give the sutures more time to heal. But, she said as long as there's no problems and she's doing well, I could certainly pick her up later tonight - it's my choice. I know what I'll be doing :)

She'll be fine, I'm sure. Me on the other hand.... :lol:

Thanks for the support :flwr:

I'm really glad that you will be able to pick her up this evening! They are such quick healers and I am sure she will be totally fine. Keep us posted!

Glad you have the option of picking her up tonight. Both of mine were done in the a.m. and picked them up late afternoon. I don't know that I would like leaving them overnight if no one is there. What's the point in that? I think she would be better off at home with you to look after her. If there was someone there overnight that would be a different story.

She'll be fine. Isn't it funny how much they pull on our hearts? Like you said....been there, done that...why's it so difficult?

I can understand extra careful vets wanting to monitor an anmal overnight, but see no reason to keep one without supervision.

Puppy Parenting

Would you let your mother-in-law tell you exactly how to parent your children and follow her rules to the t without thinking "Why do things this way? Is this best for my kids and me?"

Letting the vet tell you how to care for your recovering puppy is just the same to me. The vet is one good source of healthcare information but what about asking a second vet, asking people whov'e been through this before, logically reasoning pros and cons of different choices you can make, and trusting your gut.

My Isabelle was spayed a week ago and we brought her home the same evening. She felt so weak to me, she shook a little, cried the first night, and had goop around her eyes from something they did. She didn't feel well and I was so worried for her- held her on me nonstop all night. She was comforted by being with her person- I hate to ever leave her alone too long, especially when she's hurting.

Good luck in your decision how to care for your baby. Be tough- she'll be better soon.

I'm glad you'll get to take her home. Willow was done just last week, and I was worried enough just being away from her for the day. We still crate her at night, so it was no issue for us having her running around or anything all night. I'd advise keeping her confined at night when you can't be watching her all the time to make sure she isn't doing damage to herself.

The hardest part for us has actually been how quickly Willow has been recovering - it's great that she feels better, but it makes it much harder to keep her from running, playing, jumping, all the stuff she's not supposed to do! I swear she thinks we're the worst puppy-parents ever because we refuse to play with her and keep taking her out on leash to do her business....

And I totally understand your feeligns when you dropped her off - when they took Willow away, she was looking back over the shoulder of the vet tech at us - I thought I was going to lose it!

Don't worry, though - I'm sure she'll be just fine and very happy to see you pick her up!

Krista

Bella will be fine!! :flwr: :)

I am so glad they are letting you take her home - especially if nobody was going to be there. That's one thing I will never understand about vets. They said Kos might have to stay extra too because of his hernia. I packed him EVERYTHING, lol.. he had blankies, leash, harness, food, bottle of water, and a booda bone.. :roll:

I was a little miffed at my vet when I called and asked if I could take kos and they said "no he's cold." I said oh well where is he? and she said "on my lap!" :yikes I told her that I could hold him and even better I would make sure his temp stayed up, but alas, I had to wait for him to be released.. :lol:

I still took Kosmo for his walkies with his stitches (he had hernia stitches too) but I made sure that he didn't go crazy. If I didn't take him for walkies, God knows I wouldn't have been able to control him in the house.

Glad that you got the IV fluids. I got those too and when I picked him up he was SOOO happy I don't even think he thought about the surgery he was too preoccupied with seeing me. He was bright and alert and I think the fluids had a lot to do with that. My vet did make the mistake of not taking him out to potty though and had I known that they wouldn't make sure he went then I would have demanded to at least take him out to pee. He was BURSTING by the time I got to pick him up (which was 12 hours later). Add in IV fluids with that and I felt awful for the little man. :(

Good luck to you guys and let us know how she gets on! :flwr: :flwr: *HUGZ* to you guys from me n Kos! :)

Aaw, thanks.. I knew you guys would understand :)

The vet just called. Everything went beautifully and Bella is fine. She ended up having 4 teeth removed, and 2 on the bottom were quite large so that was probably the most involved part of the surgery.

He said he sees no reason why she can't come home this evening 'after 7pm', as long as we promise to keep her low-key... which is fine. I have no desire to see her running laps around the yard in the snow! She may be groggy and feeling like crap, but at least she'll be with us, rather than in a strange cage in a dark room with other cats/dogs meowing/barking around her. That would surely freak her out. You know how sensitive our Cavs can be! :D

Anyway, I feel better now. It's been a stressful day for me :lol:

Can't wait to pick up my girl!!

ah i feel for you, as I am the same way. I have never been able to leave one of my kids or pets overnight. I think they'd have to set up a bed for me too!

But I respect vets like yours that prepare you they might want to keep them and reinforce how important it is they be kept still. It shows they care.

Yesterday i was given the option of taking Teddy home or leaving him, they are a 24 hours place...it was dark and starting to snow , but I was glad i got him. But it was more difficult, with all the other dogs around. Still, it must be so scarey for them and you know it's not a comfortable cage.

So glad you are able to bring her home with you. The only times I have ever left mine have been when they are fully attended to at night by a staff member on duty & even then I have gotten no sleep :shock:

I totally moped all day when Teiglin got fixed, I could never have left him overnight! I don't understand how a clinic can leave animals unattended at night, especially after surgeries, what if something did go wrong- no one would know :yikes G
Glad to hear Bella made it through okay. :flwr:

i remember when cookie got spayed i kept myself so busy in the day and the vet said they wanted to keep her there over night ...but i wanted my baby home with me where we could all look after her. daddy carried her around everywhere, and she got lots of cuddles and would fall asleep every 2 minutes. she had those 'sad sam eyes' when she'd want to go and play but couldn't get up and she would randomly start crying ...it was heartbreaking ..well until midday the next day when all of a sudden she woke up and was ready to jump around!!!!

Bella will be fine xxx

It's so great to hear that Bella's spay went smoothly and that she's back at home with you! I totally understand how nervous you must have been. I have to have Coco spayed (as well as have her umbilical hernia repaired) and I am scared for her. I've already been imagining her sad little face as they carry her down the hall away from me!

Krista, so glad to hear Willow is doing well too!

Back