• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hard Stool

murphy's mum

We changed Murphy's food to James Wellbeloved a couple of weeks ago. Ever since we noticed his stool has been harder, and he sometimes seems to struggle a little. He still goes as regularly as he did before

The vet didn't seem concerned as he is going regularly, but I was wondering if there is anything we could give him to soften it up a little. He gets veg, and meat with his JWB at the moment.

Anyone got any suggestions :)

I would try giving him fish oil every day, and perhaps bits of carrots and frozen cut green beans for extra fiber.

I don't have JWB here but I had the same problem with Kosmo and his stools. I called the manufacturer of the food and they told me that, like cathy said, add fiber to his food. They suggested canned pumpkin to me and it seems to do the trick :flwr:

a firmer stool is much better than a softer one it will help keep the anal glands empty .....unless he is constipated and can't go i wouldn't add anytjing to his diet :flwr:

If he's constipated, you could try a little rough bran (not processed breakfast cereal). It helps constipation and to soft poos.

Cathy Moon said:
I would try giving him fish oil every day, and perhaps bits of carrots and frozen cut green beans for extra fiber.

He gets green beans or carrots with his meals, but the are normally cooked. Is this wrong?

i feed lady jwb and she has firm poos we add fruit and veg in every meal. Only puppy approved ones though! And i give cooked and uncooked veg and frozen i don't think it matters it still fiber. :p silly response is he getting enough water?

Bertie has always been on James Wellbeloved. I never put anything with his food and his poops are very firm, sometimes takes him a bit longer to go but he's not straining or anything so I'm not concerned at all.

He sometimes has softer stools if I give him a treat that he's not used to or too much of one. Apart from that, his are always very firm.

Alison

Zack had very firm hard (but not dry) stools on EVO. That is a no grain kibble. He also had gas. He wasn't straining, he was going as regular as ever, or even more. For the gas, a vet recommended mixing about half and half EVO and any other good kibble that contains grain/lower protein percentage. Zack's stools immediately got softer--even though i only mix in a small amount of the grain containing kibble (Innova regular adult kibble), those stools have stayed softer than before, and no gas smell.
But i actually prefer (if that's the right word) the harder stools he had before, easier to pick up and he wasn't constipated. They were just hard. They didn't look hard but when i picked them up, i was like, Whoa--they were very hard. You could push on them and they wouldn't give. zack gets about a half raw carrot a day, and some days he gets a SamsYam or a pegetable.

murphy's mum said:
Cathy Moon said:

He gets green beans or carrots with his meals, but the are normally cooked. Is this wrong?
Oh that's good you're already giving him vegetables. How about adding some moisture to his food? Does JWB have a canned food, or Burns? I've been adding a little canned meat dog food to my cavs' kibble, and that softens their stools slightly.

Can you get plain, canned pumpkin where you shop? Or what about cooked winter squash? A spoonful of that in his kibble would make a difference, as Sara suggested. :flwr: :flwr:

Thanks for all the comments guys :)

I've never seen canned pumpkin before, or even heard of winter squash, but will have a look today at the shop.

He gets wet food once or twice a week, which does change his stool obviously, will see what happens if I add some to his JWB. He's that fussy though, will see how it goes :flwr:

Back