• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Senior with puppy!

harvwald

I have a beautiful Blenheim 20-week-old girl named Karma. I am new to being a dog-mom, having had cats for the past 30 years. :winkct:This puppy is wonderful, but overwhelming at times. The advice here has been very helpful. My current issues with her are toilet training, chewing, eating sticks and everything she finds outdoors, and separation anxiety. I would eventually like to get a cat companion for Karma, but I think I need to wait until she gets a little older and less rambunctious. If I can ever figure out how to do so, I'll eventually post a photo of my baby. cavtiny

Congrads!!!!! My sweet Fletcher also blenheim is just 1 today. He was the first puppy I have ever owned...yes puppies are hard but just like raising a human baby rewarding. Fletcher had/has so much energy even after playing with my little boy, Mr. Monster for hours. I found plenty of exercise in the form of walks really helped. If you can't manage hiring a dog walker would be awesome. For me I have found walking Fletcher especially the last evening long walk is great for me too. Being a busy mom its nice to just have 45 mins of peace. Also please download the free book After You Get Your Puppy http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads I followed the "rules" in this book like it was the Bible especially about supervision for potty training and chewing. I have noticed cavaliers are super smart and they can even "train" us.

I pretty much let Fletcher chew in sticks in the yard as long as then are big (I think he might have been a woodchuck in another life) and my yard is otherwise puppy proof...I actually gave him a sand box to dig in because he like to dig and giving him his own place to do it instead of digging in flower beds or something. The leave it command was the hardest for Fletcher. But with a little kid and 2 teenagers in the house "leave it" comes in handy and he has become pretty reliable with it.

Welcome! As MombObvious said, the Dunbar books are great and helpful. Have you taken her to puppy kindergarten? I would strongly suggest starting her on training as soon as possible. It's also important for her to get out and meet the world so she gets socialized. I took my latest puppy to "puppy play dates" which are great. I found them in various places--local humane society, dog training clubs, dog daycare facilities,etc. There is a small charge but all the vaccinations (whatever is appropriate for their age) are checked going in the door, and the play is monitored. It's a great way for puppies to have fun. If you look around the internet, you'll find some available in your area. Good luck! Cavs are great companion dogs. I envy you having a puppy!

Thanks to both of you. Today we went on our first walk, and we encountered several dogs, mostly big ones. She was scared but interested. She was with her sibs and mom until 12 weeks old, but hasn't met other dogs. I think getting her out to be socialized is our next step. Thanks for suggesting it. Good to know that someone else lets her dog chew on sticks. I thought I was being a bad mom :( Today she had a pee accident inside. My fault. She came in and drank a lot of water, then we played with her. I forgot about the water, and 1 hour later she came up to me and peed at my feet! Sure wish she knew how to let me know to take her out. Thanks again for the replies.

Back