• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Faith

Moviedust

Faith, the lab/shepherd mix my family adopted from a shelter when I was 16 was put to sleep today. She was 13 years old.

She was the perfect dog for our family. She was about 10 weeks old when we adopted her. The shelter notified the man who brought her, and her littermates, to the shelter when she was adopted. We learned that Faith originated from an unplanned pregnancy between a college student's yellow lab and neighboring farm's roaming shepherd. The original owner wrote to us and thanked us for adopting one of his pups; he also sent us photos of the litter when the pups were still with him.

Faith was a very even tempered dog. My mother ran an in-home daycare for the first several years of Faith's life. She was a great "nanny" dog. Faith had a very close relationship with one boy in particular. He would wrestle with her, ride her, use her as a pillow, and Faith loved him. After he had grown and was in high school, he stopped by one day in passing. Faith knew him, and ran over as if he was still just a toddler. He patted her head, and she loved him.

Even when she got older and more easily annoyed by little kids, she never lost her patience. She would move away from the grabby little hands and look to one of us with her expressive eyes to ask us to protect her. I don't think in her entire life she ever even growled at a human being.

In the last few years, she served as a teacher and role model for our girls. She handled the invasion of our girls with grace and enthusiasm. She would even try to play a bit, despite the arthritis in her joints. Even as recently as a few weeks ago, I posted about her interactions with Holly while we were away on holiday. My girls are going to miss her as much as the rest of the family.

I'll miss her "talking" grumbles, and how she rubbed her backside against the sofa to tell us she needed to go out. I'll miss how she would lead gullible people to where the treats were kept in order to beg an extra treat or two. I'll miss the stories of stolen foods--she loved food to the end. Except for hotdogs, ketchup, and veggies. She'd spit out carrots, peas, and all the stuff that was good for her. She'd think nothing of eating an entire box of tissues, though!

Faith's spirit kept her with us longer than the doctors expected. She survived a very hard winter despite the arthritis and muscle deterioration in her hind legs. A tumor was growing, bigger and bigger every day. Finally, she appears to have suffered a stroke, making it almost impossible for her to walk. With a heavy heart, my mother, who Faith loved longingly, took her to the vet to let her go. We are all grieving today, and for a long time to come.

Here is one of the photos sent to us from Faith's original owner. My mother believes Faith is the black puppy under the stairs because of the characteristic ways she holds her head:
editedFaithPorchPuppies.jpg

And here she is when we brought her home at 10 weeks old:
cropppedFaith10Weeks.jpg

And lastly, this is Faith as a senior enjoying her last summer in the sun:
faith.jpg

She was a beautiful girl and your story of her life made my heart ache. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. :lotsaluv:

Faith sounds like a truly golden oldie. It is hard to no longer feel her love and to not be able to show your love to her. She will always be tucked in your hearts and someday you'll meet again and she'll be full of health as in her younger years.

I am so sorry for your loss. Just from reading your post, I feel like I know Faith well. It sounds like she was a wonderful family member and will be missed terribly. Again, I am really sorry.

Thank you all for reading and posting your kind words in reply. We are all still very upset about our loss, but it does feel good to share Faith's story with people who love dogs. Thank you for your support.

Faith's story was very beautiful, thank you for sharing it with us. I know how hard it is to write, when your heart is still full of sorrow and missing :hug:

I really enjoyed your story as it just captured Faith and her personality in such a vivid way. What a caring owner to thank you for taking one of the puppies and sending you some baby pictures too! Faith sure sounds like she had a fantastic life and obviously was the centre of a loving home for many years. Her face has that real kindly labrador look -- such a gentle expression. I am very sorry for your loss as I can see how you will miss such a special lady.

What a lovely tribute to Faith. I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm so glad she was a part of your family all these years. :flwr:

Although Faith has left to continue her journey to that beautiful forever home at the Bridge, she has left you a lifetime of wonderful memories. What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful girl. Faith will always be with you in your heart. May all the happy memories Faith has left with you, give you the strength to get through her passing.:paw:

Thank you all for your kind words. I'm still missing Faith, and I'm dreading the first visit home knowing she won't be there to excitedly greet me, as she always did. It's great to have friends who understand that losing a pet is like losing a family member; Faith never was or never will be "just a dog" to me.

Thank you.

Back