• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Matters of conscience

Celticharmony

Would be grateful for your opinions on this please:
A dog loving friend visited this morning and related a rather distressing account of what she witnessed on late evening walk yesterday. As she passed a particular house not far from her own, she heard a loud whimpering coming from the garden area. She used her torch to investigate further by looking over the fence where she saw a young Cavalier puppy sitting shivering outside a small kennel. She was desperately worried and approached the owner. Using as much diplomacy and tact as she could she informed her of the puppie's distress and enquired if he was just out there to do business!(But thinking otherwise)
The owner simply replied that this was where he belonged - in his kennel and that he was just getting used to it. She left the house and says that she couldn't sleep from worry. She is frightened of repercussions should she report this, with the owner living so close by. She says the puppy was also in the garden looking totally lost this morning. Now, perhaps you will think we are both over-reacting, but personally I think this constitutes cruelty with regard to a Cavalier who according to my sources state should never be housed outside, except in cases where many of them are housed together in a properly temperature controlled kennel. The isolation alone for this little puppy must be terrible. I am now also distressed and very concerned. It brings tears to my eys just thinking of him.

Oh no! That's so shocking! Someone has to report him, that is cruel. I'm so upset now thinking of the little baby, if only I could take him away from there! And very angry at such horrid people, they don't deserve any animals.

My poor distraught friend says that she cannot stand the stress of the knowledge she holds any longer and has been round again to the owner and taken her husband with her for support. They advised her that although they wished her no harm or trouble, that if she didn't want to keep the puppy indoors that they would be delighted to have it, and if not she was leaving them with no option but to report her. She admitted that the puppy was a surprise gift, but an unwanted one, so guess what? She handed him over without further ado, signing her full permission on paper in case of any outcome. He is a little darling apparently and is off to the vets for a thorough check-up tonight. What a lovely ending and I have to say I am totally relieved. I felt such a strong urge to go there myself after hearing the story first and would not have let the sun go down on today without knowing the problem had been solved. My friend is bringing him to see me tomorrow. Can't wait, especially as I am already getting excited at the mere prospect of aquiring a little B&T as soon as a reputable breeder can be found.

Matter of conscience2

:eek:Sorry about the rushed last post and the bad punctuation etc. I was so excited about the good news that I could hardly write, let alone concentrate. I have stupidly used the present tense I see, so to anyone who may be confused by this, I can assure you that all has been resolved and and the little darling girl is called Melody. Perhaps all this happened for some reason, as my friend had been feeling low since losing her last dog some months ago, so now it seems she has the answer to all her prayers.:rah:

That's great news; being left outside would not be adequate shelter for a puppy so your friend could have called the ISPCA or local SPCA and you were right to be concerned. The approach she took was much better though. Hope your friend might join us here with her new baby. :)

I don't think the RSPCA would have been able to do anything, as the dog had a kennel for shelter and was presumably fed and watered. Ther have been tv progrmmes where they have threatened to remove dogs who didn't have shelter, but providing a kennel or in one case,a plastic canopy making a shelter with three brick walls, was deemed to satisfy the rules,even though far from ideal. Pehaps the new regulations changed this ?

Thank you Karlin. It seems that here in the somewhat remote countryside where everyone knows everyone else, that people are quite reluctant to report for fear of repercussions, but I am sure there must be a way round it, as surely their names would not be divulged. In this case I feel she did take the right course because she knew that the owner in question did know her identy and her address, so can in a way understand her concern.
I am at a total loss as to why anyone with even the vaguest knowledge of animals would behave in such a way towards a little puppy, or why indeed did she not simply return her once she realised that she didn't want her? There was a recent incidence of an owner being reported about a similar situation. She convinced the ISPCA that she merely had the puppy out there whilst cleaning the house. I can only hope that in these situations a few more intermittant checks would be made to ensure that this was the case, although I doubt if there are enough resources to support this kind of follow up.

Well done to ur friend for keeping her cool while talking to this lady. Keep us informed of how they are getting on. at least little Melody will have a nice snug bed tonight.

Yes I see your point, but although it may be acceptable for a grown dog(Not a Cavalier) to Be kept in a clean kennel with food and water etc available, I still think that a puppy of any breed needs to be kept in a temperature controlled environment and that the isolation alone in a cold alien environment, having just been parted from his mother and siblinlings would justify blatant neglect if not cruelty. I was told categorically by breeders and Vets alike, long before I bought my first Cavalier that they are a lone Cavalier should never be housed outside in a kennel as this does not constitute a quality of life for this breed who thrive on human company. If people cannot accept this or are not prepared to have them indoors, then I feel they should consider whether they are suitable to keeping this breed.

I am in tears (of JOY!) reading this... how truly wonderful indeed your friend is...how truly heartbreaking AND heartwarming this story is. Thank heavens that the owner admitted to not wanting the pup and handed her over! For me, this is a story of devine intervention....someone / something knew this puppy needed your friend and put her in the right place at the right time. I cannot wait to tell my dh this story over dinner...I know it will put a tear in his eye too. Please tell your friend how thankful I am that she went back to talk to the owner...I would HOPE that if I were in the same situation I would have the courage to do as she did.

Just had another call from said friend who says Melody is just amazing and as we print is sitting on her new Mummy's lap sleeping like a baby. I imagine she thinks she has died and gone to heaven poor little angel. My husband has nipped out to get her a lovely little bed as a gift. I think he like me is getting overly paternal at the thought that hopefully in the not too distant future a little B&T will be available for us. Still doing research on breeders so I know the wait will be worth it. In the meantime, can't wait to see little Melody tomorrow.

That is so amazing and wonderful news that little Melody was turned over to your friend. She's going to be loved for sure and deserves all the cuddles coming her way. Hope you will post pics when you visit your friend. Maybe you can convince her to join the forum.

Well, this is the second time today I've cried while reading this thread. The second set of tears are so full of joy!!! What a fantastic ending!!!

What a wonderful outcome!! Maybe your friend can give you a pic of Melody for you to post for us?? All kudos to her, that took courage on her part and that of her hubby to approach the owner of the puppy (y) I hope that your B/T baby will soon be with you too, wherever he/she may be, you will find each other I am sure! :xfngr: :lotsaluv:

Oh wow, that is a great outcome! Got to wonder why the original owner had the dog in the first place. Clearly they didn't want it.

Her misguided Mother bought it for her as a birthday present, apparently being totally unaware that she was actually scared of dogs, having sustained a serious bite while on holiday. Wish she has just bought her a fluffy toy one instead! No, I mean this really is beginning to sound like it was meant to happen for a reason and my friend and I will sleep a lot happier in our beds tonight. Melody will no doubt sleep well in her new warm and cosy environment. They have huge bedroom with bathroom en suite, so I believe Melody is in there, so quite near them. Last call said she was being an excellent little girl and had done her business on each trip to the garden. They have covered the BR floor with paper, so I guess she will be fine until am.

A good lesson is being brave and speaking up and being tactful. What a lovely outcome. Your friend and he husband sound like a good new owners for Melody. What a sweet name for a dog too. Thanks for sharing with us. :razz:

Back