• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

When to Feed?

islewriter

When do you feed your CKC

MORNING, AFTERNOON or EVENING. :confused:

Also is it best to give (1) meal or (2) small meals a day.

I am watching Kirra's weight - and as we know CKC's will enjoy all on offer - so your advice greatly appreciated.

She loves her :dogwlk: and especially on days like we have at the moment :)

2 meals mornign and evening, she does get treats etc during the day, depending on what tricks i am getting her to do.

I feed my lot once a day, around lunch time (12.30/1.00). I currently have a 7 month old pup staying with me and he is so hard to feed (picky and almost afraid of the food!) so he gets 3 VERY small meals. They get a little something nice when we go down to them in the morning and before bed (and maybe once or twice throughout the day, depending on how generous we are feeling!).

If you are worried about wieght, lots of good brands do a "light" food - maybe check them out (my Cavalier lady was on light foods for a good while and the weight come off her slowly but healthily - def recommend checking them out) (y)

I feed my gang two small meals: usually around 11ish, main meal, and they'd usually get a fishskin dental chew for after, a kong then for tea (just makes them work a bit for their tea..:)) with kibble and veggies in (around 6ish) :paw:

Last edited:
I have a 3yr old and 10mth old and they are both fed at 7.30am and 3.30pm(small meals) and have a JWB biscuit before bed too.
Again my 3yr old would eat all day if i allowed her too and is really prone to weight gain....so during the day i give some veg as treats!

Hope that helps.

I feed my two at 7am & 6pm & they get a biscrok & kong with Marmite when I leave for work & a burns fish skin at bed time.

Harley was quite overweight, and we have him on a vet programme, although you can buy this food at certain outlets, online, or from your vet. Arden Grange (light) i rang them and spoke to a nutrionist you said try three meals a day, same amount, just split it between three meals.
So weigh your little one, Harley weighed 13.6 kg, and now is 12.6 we are ideally getting him down to 12 kg, which is what the vet would be happy with for his size (dont go by this for your dog). Just weigh her at the vets then give her three small meals a day with lots of vegs mixed in.

I feed mine twice daily at 7am and between 9.30 and 10pm.

I feed a biscuit around 10.30/11am and a markie after thier evening walk around 7pm.

I don't feed a very big portion of food(JWB lamb and rice kibble) and give veg in the evening feed 3 or 4 times a week and a JWB lamb and rice pouch about once every fortnight.

I feed mine twice a day, about 6am and 4:30pm. (JWB lamb and vegetable) They also get a little something before bed. It used to be a treat, but since Maddie's tummy upsets they just get a small handful of kibbles for supper.
Maddie's weight is staying constant (which is good (y)) and Pippin has lost a little, he's gone from 9.85Kg down to 9.1Kg, which seems to suit him better. I wouldn't want him to lose any more though. He never looked or felt fat, but has a lot more energy at the lower weight. He's also got a lot faster at agility. Shame I haven't. :jump:

I forgot to add - they also love their veggies and get a little each day as a treat. (cauliflower, carrot, broccoli,) and also their fruit, so they sometimes get a small piece of apple, pear, banana. They view this as a really good treat, so will do tricks for it.

Last edited:
I feed mine twice a day- 8:30am and 3:30pm. I give them a treat around noon, and then sometimes another one at bedtime (if they ask for it). They will sit by the cabinet and stare at me when they want a snack. ;)

We also feed twice a day, morning and evening...and they are like little alarm clocks...they begin to stalk their bowls and about 5 min til "foodtime" every evening. In the morning they just expect it after they are let out. (By expect, I mean demand...those stares are priceless)

We feed twice a day at 7am and 6pm. Then half a Bonio at bedtime. The evening meal is bulked up with veg.

Mel

Scarlett gets 50g of belcando at 9.00 am and at around 6.30 pm because your only supposed to give them small amounts. She does get a couple of treats or leftovers throughout the day sometimes.

I half the recommended amount and feed part in the morning (around 7:00) and the rest in the evening around 7 or 8:00.

Thanks to everyone :) for all your wonderful postings on this topic.

Greatly appreciate your taking the time to give of your experiences :luv:

I feed mine twice a day BUT I just started doing so a couple months ago and I've had dogs most of my adult life since moving out 36 years ago. I just came to the conclusion that I would be starving if I only ate once a day and then also my tummy would also only hold so much. I give 1/2 cup in the a.m. and 1/2 around dinner time. Not on an exact time schedule.

We also feed twice a day, morning and evening...and they are like little alarm clocks...they begin to stalk their bowls and about 5 min til "foodtime" every evening. In the morning they just expect it after they are let out. (By expect, I mean demand...those stares are priceless)

Thats so funny - my parents retriever gets up & goes to the kitchen when he hears the end of the 'Neighbours' theme tune as thats when he is fed!

Back