• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Baldness on tummy

MurphysMummy

Hi guys. Sorry I have not been active for such a long time but I need some advice. Started to notice murphys tummy is going bald. Obviously I am not expecting an answer or vet advice from you just wondering if anyone has previous experience of this. Murphy is 8/9 and has MVD. I have uploaded a photo. The hair around the patch of baldness is very thin but you can't see very well due to the flash on my phone. Also excuse murphys rude bits LOL. Thanks in advance guys and I hope everyone and their dogs are well. x

398982_4661940910607_523493155_n.jpg

See another post recently with exactly the same issue!

Can be stress, thyroid issues, various kinds of mites, mange, skin problems. If the vet clears him of these -- there may not really be a reason that can be identified. I do remember someone else going through this some time ago and don't recall any diagnosis was ever made.

I responded to the other thread also. Riley lost almost all of her hair on her tummy and her tail several years ago. She was a lot balder than Murphy. At the time I attributed it to prednisone but I'm not so sure now since the cure was really easy and it started after she had been on pred for quite awhile (several months). All my dogs were taking a daily fish oil capsule, but I changed them to 1000mg pure Salmon oil and Riley's hair grew back in beautiful and silky, except on her tail. Her tail is like a rat's tail. Here's the link to the website so you can see the breakdown of the fatty acids www.WholisticPetOrganics.com It might be worth a try since I'm not sure of the hair loss/prednisone link with Riley. Whatever the cause with her, as soon as she started on the Salmon oil, her hair started growing back.

My Tess (also B&T) has always been a little bit bald on her tummy. We think it's because she likes to drag herself along the floor, flexing her back. We call it her Army crawl. :)

If the vet says there are no problems, I wouldn't worry about it. I think that many dogs are a little bald on their tummies but it's more noticeable when their fur is black.

Back