• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Our Charlie

Cathy Moon

It is with great sorrow that I’m posting this message – we gave little Charlie his wings on Friday, January 25th. He was only 2 years old. He fell asleep in my arms at the vets on Friday night. Colin and I, along with our vet, decided that Charlie had struggled enough with SM. We all miss him terribly as he has been the center of our lives since I brought him home this past October.

For those of you who don’t know about Charlie, he had severe SM symptoms for well over a year before we adopted him in October 2007. According to his veterinary records, he had what most of us would call severe SM symptoms at 5 month of age. Shortly after we brought him home, he had decompression surgery. He improved dramatically for a time, but he still had permanent neurological damage and his pain episodes never went away.

During the past month, he had gradually deteriorated. His pain medicine dose was doubled as we tried to buy him more time for possible healing. But we finally reached the point when we knew we had to give Charlie relief. It was heart wrenching to decide to let him go.

We love you and miss you, little Charley Barley. Heidi and Tasha are with you at the bridge.

I'm so sorry. Charlie had a wonderful few months with a family that loved him dearly. He is free from pain now and can play at the bridge with all the other beautiful cavaliers.

My thoughts are with you at such a sad time.

Cathy:

Bless you and Colin and hugs to Geordie, Chocolate and India for sharing your time and love with Charlie and for having the courage to know that it was time to let him go. To me Charlie will forever be the poster "child" for SM. We can only hope that his story motivates people to do and learn more.

:hug:

I am so sad for you & Colin. You gave Charlie the best care possible during his short time with you. He is free of pain now.

Im so sorry, Charlie was so loved by you all and you did your very best for him. Atleast he will be free from all that pain now. Thinking of you all at this very sad time

Oh God Cathy....I'm so incredibly sorry. I was in tears before I could even start reading your message. Sweetie...know that you did everything possible for Charlie but he just wasn't meant for this world. I am so grateful that you did everything you could for him and gave him so much love in the last few months. Please give Colin a big hug from me and express how much we all appreciated the lengths you all went through to care for Charlie. Rest in peace little love, no more pain.

To me Charlie will forever be the poster "child" for SM. We can only hope that his story motivates people to do and learn more

Absolutely!!

Cathy & Colin, I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved boy Charlie :( please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers {{{{HUGS}}}}

Hello Cathy and Colin.
This is really saddening news. I also followed your Charlie, and I really admire what you did for him during these past months. The warmest hugs, thoughts and prayers to you all. Thank you for being there for him.
Charlotte

oh my goodness Cathy, I am so sorry :( I'm so glad Charlie got to come and stay with you for a few months ~ they surely were his best few of his entire life. You and Colin have been an inspiration to me with your kind and gracious hearts. Please know that you guys are in my thoughts and prayers at this terrible time *hugZ* from all of us! :flwr:

Run free at the bridge little sweetheart :lotsaluv: *ng*l*ng*l*ng*l :lotsaluv:

Oh, this is hard to read. Thank you for the courage to let Charlie be at peace. You are so wise and you both took such loving care of this little soul and gave him the best. His paw prints will always be on your hearts. :paw: God bless you.

Cathy, I am so heartbroken for you and your family. I am so sorry for your loss. But a huge thank you to you and your husband for giving Charlie a wonderful life with you.

I'm so sorry to read about Charlie my heart goes out to you both, he'll be playing in the sunshine now with all his pain long gone, take care I'm thinking of you

From Friend to Friend

I found this and it reminded me of Cathy and Colins strength

"From Friend to Friend" by Karen Clouston

You're giving me a special gift, so sorrowfully endowed,
And through these last few cherished days, your courage makes me proud.
But really, love is knowing when your best friend is in pain,
And understanding earthly acts will only be in vain.
So looking deep into your eyes, beyond into your soul,
I see in you the magic that will once more make me whole.

The strength that you possess is why I look to you today,
To do this thing that must be done, for it's the only way.
That strength is why I've followed you and chose you as my friend,
And why I've loved you all these years ... my partner till the end.

Please understand just what this gift you're giving means to me,
It gives me back the strength I've lost and all my dignity.
You take a stand on my behalf, for that is what friends do,
And know that what you do is right. For I believe it too.

So one last time I breathe your scent and through your hand I feel,
The courage that's within you to now grant me this appeal.
Cut the leash that holds me here, dear friend and let me run,
Once more a strong and steady pet, my pain and struggle done.

And don't despair my passing, for I won't be far away,
Forever here within your heart and memory I'll stay.
I'll be watching over you, your ever faithful friend,
And in your memories I'll run, a young pet once again.

Bless you Cathy and Colin for all the love you gave to Charlie! I am sorry things did not turn out differently.

I'm so sorry for your loss,it makes me so angry that people have bred these beautiful creatures without any regard for their health and well being ! He was lucky to have you at least :(

Cathy, what a wonderful person you are for taking on the emotional and financial burden to take such care of gentle little soul Charlie. He was so lucky to have you in his life before running free at the bridge. My heart breaks for you and your family at this difficult time.*ng*l Know that you did everything you could and be at peace. Hugs from us and Miss Bianca.:flwr:

Back