My breeder has similar views as yours does on many of your questions. When I got my first puppy from her, I was so confused because she would say one thing and my vet would say another. I have a vet that I go to for traditional things such as wellness exams and injections, but I also have a homeopathic vet that I consult for pretty much everything from flea prevention to diet to injections (feel free to PM me if you would like his contact information). My breeder makes her recommendations based on what the homeopath vet says, to I typically just consult him directly. My traditional vet somtimes - but not always - disagrees with what I want to do (for example, he disagrees with the fact that I feed my dogs raw), but I hold my ground and only have him do what I am comfortable with doing. He thinks I'm weird for having the injections in the leg, but he does it - and always asks where I "hear these things".
I waited until my dog was 9 months before he had his rabies injection (state law says 4 months) - and my homepath vet sent me some kind of herbal remedy to give him after the injection that was supposed to help prevent negative side effects/reactions. I also gave both of my puppies single parvo and single distemper injections, a few weeks apart, so it's not as hard on their system - which my vet was fine with (not all vets have these).
The younger puppy is also on parvo and distemper nosodes until about a month after he has his next parvo injection (he doesn't leave our patio right now, but I just wanted to be safe).
As for flea prevention, we don't use anything regularly, but I did spray Miles with something my breeder told me how to make (some kind of herb that fleas don't like plus water) when we went up to the woods in Wisconsin for a long weekend last fall, and he was fine - no fleas :D
I know it's hard to know if you're making the "right" decision when you're being told two conflicting things, but my homeopath vet made it much easier for me to make the decisions about my dogs' care. I hope this helps! :p
Thank you to everyone for all of your input and advice. It is priceless. Cassidy got some Advantix and also Heartgard (which I haven't given her yet). I feel much better now. My vet's office was so helpful and looked up in the computer what other Cavalier patients use so that was helpful too. I'm sure they are amused by all of my questions and obvious desperation. I also was in contact with a woman who knows my breeder and she gave me an earful as well so it was good to get her opinion on things. I am positive that my breeder has her dogs' best interests at heart though her beliefs are a bit out there, to say the least. I just hope that others who don't know any better (like myself) will take the initiative to do some research on their own to make up their own minds on what approach to take with their pups. I am plan on getting her rabies shot at 6 months (hopefully the county won't catch up with me by then) and have her spayed around the same time, before her first heat....which by the way, terrifies me, so be prepared for me to post again when that time comes. Thank you all again....
I just wanted to add that Cassidy is an absolutely beautiful little puppy! Such a sweet picture. She's lucky to have such a concerned and conscientious human mom!
As a matter of curiosity, aren't there a couple vet techs that post here? And at least one in vet school?
Originally Posted by Karlin
I live in Southern California by the beach, and we do get fleas here. Preventative monthly spot treatment is necessary to prevent an ongoing epidemic of the little boogers. We use Advantage for fleas, as we don't have ticks around this area. If we start traveling with her later will probably switch to Frontline which protects agains fleas and ticks. My vet says we can hold off on the heartworm meds as they have seen little evidence of this in our area. Again, when we start traveling to the mountains and other areas, he said to have her in for pre testing, then will put her on heartworm preventatives. Our breeder also felt that it would be best to spay 3 months after the completion of a first season, to insure that her proper coat and growth development has been achieved. My vet preferred the spay before heat but was fine with the decision as long as we kept her in for a month and spayed by the time she was about a year old. Good luck with your decisions! Where in California do you live??